Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac and PC networking question

Hi,

I have a wireless router atached to my PC (XP Pro), and an Apple Powerbook (running with OS 10.3) using a Wifi card. Is there any way for me to exchange files between the two?

-X-
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

You can use samba file sharing. Just share the folders in XP. On the powerbook go to Preferences -> Sharing -> Windows File Sharing.

To get to the XP computer in OS X go to Go -> Connect to Server. Type in "smb://IP-ADDRESS"

For XP to get to the Mac, in run do \\IP-ADDRESS

You should get login screens for both.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

or use a ftp server, I am getting very paranoid about enableing file sharing in windows XP, to many exploits are being found on a regular basis

Comment

Oh yeah that too. In OS X, the Sharing also has Remote Login, which is SSH. Turning that on will enable SFTP.
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

how do I configure WinXP to allow FTP access? I don't have any problems accessing the MAC from WinXP, but I can't go the other way.
          Last edited by X-Caliber; 27 May 2004, 23:15.
          ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Comment

For a good server, I would install the Cygwin tools. Then you'll get ssh, scp, sftp....
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Isn't FTP server functionality also a part of Microsoft ISS (internet information service) ?

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

But not sftp, I think.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                  or use a ftp server, I am getting very paranoid about enableing file sharing in windows XP, to many exploits are being found on a regular basis
                  because FTP is secure? ha!

Comment

Sure it is, depending on the server you set up, Kurt.

Comment

FTP on a local lan is plenty secure. Much more so than a windows share.
                      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I thought standard ftp still transmitted login/pw in plaintext?

Comment

Or you can go into the TCP/IP option of Mac OS X and enable Windows File Transfer and then share network resources across teh two like normal. I forget where it actually is (it's been a while since I've networked a Mac and PC), but if you turn on that option the two will talk without fusing with FTP and other special options.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

@Wombat: secure FTP is beyond most who think FTP is plenty secure as it is

@Jammrock: he's on WIFI. Better FTP with login/pwd than a shared access.

Comment

Hi,

So I was finally able to get the Powerbook to share files with my XP desktop (and vice versa). Now I have one more question, when the Powerbook is sharing files with my XP desktop, how can I tell (from within XP) what computers (IP Addresses) are connected? How about when I am using my powerbook, how can I see which machines are sharing files?

Thanks for all the help!

-V-

Comment

Working...
                              X