Damn Insects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Insects

We've been invaded by 17-year Cicadas. What a pain in the butt. They can't fly worth beans, make alot of noise, and are everywhere, dead and alive. As I type, they are banging off my window for no apparent reason. Maybe they think this building is a tree.

I can hardly wait until they are out of here.

Here's a link to the cicada cam.

Here's audio:
    Last edited by Brian R.; 26 May 2004, 13:16.

Are the birds getting fat?
    --Insert something here--

Comment

They do seem to get worse the further you go from DC towards Rockville. Must be Biblical out there by now.

I was in the office after lunch yesterday when I realized one was clinging TO MY NECK! Fortunately my supervisor was there to catch it when I threw it off.

Comment

Hide the kids and pets!!!

This website is for sale! cicadaville.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cicadaville.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Paul

Comment

Re: Hide the kids and pets!!!

Originally posted by paulcs
          http://www.cicadaville.com

Paul
          LOL

Comment

Get the < mutter > things every year in Sept. I feel your pain.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Would be willing the 100 mosquito (and the lot) bites I've gotten thus far for them.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

One intersting but easy thing to do to the bastards is just before they start coming out of the ground is to make a little trap for them. Just take some duck tape and wrap it sitcky side out around the trees about three foot up. We've got cicada graveyards at the bottom of a couple of our trees.

Comment

Still haven't gotten any around where I live at in Jersey.
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

i spent most of a summer ourdoors ("camping", if you must) and got to listen to these bastards when i was trying to get what little sleep i could.

EVIL!@&*#^*@
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                      i spent most of a summer ourdoors ("camping", if you must) and got to listen to these bastards when i was trying to get what little sleep i could.

EVIL!@&*#^*@
                      Just use ear plugs.

I'll send you the clunking manhole from outside our house. Ear plugs can't keep that out either.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                        Just use ear plugs.

I'll send you the clunking manhole from outside our house. Ear plugs can't keep that out either.
                        how about placing a traffic cone on top of it.. will that work?
                        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It would - if it was filled with concrete...
                          <sniggers evilly>.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                            Just use ear plugs.

yeah... i am used to using earplugs to sleep... however... part of the problem with using ear plugs is that i am required to be alert and easily woken up most of the time i am sleeping outside...

oh, and there are a lot of noises ear plugs won't keep out... i've heard a few of the scarier ones...
                            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                              how about placing a traffic cone on top of it.. will that work?
                              That would block the road and err PC plod would charge me. I reckon Sheffield is becoming the clunking manhole cover centre of the UK. There's loads of them.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X