Gum Returns to Singapore After 12 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gum Returns to Singapore After 12 Years

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Heres my favorate quote out of the story:
    "It's ridiculous that it's easier for 16-year-olds to visit prostitutes than it is to get chewing gum here," said Fayen Wong, a 22-year old college student. Prostitution is legal in parts of Singapore — and no registration is required.
    LOL

Wooo hooo hit post 3000 with this
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

On my 14 visits to S'pore over a number of years, I appreciated the difference when the ban was introduced. It is a retrograde step to stop the ban, IMHO.

Incidentally, the real reason for the ban is that kids found that the outer doors of the MRT (subway) could be blocked by a wad of well-chewed gum in the rails. This prevented the trains from moving off until someone had gone along and cleaned the mess. As the schedules at rush hour are very tight, this had a knock-on effect over the whole network, resulting in chaos. As this was happening nearly every day, the result was the obvious solution - ban it.

Personally, I would be in favour of a global ban. It is extremely disagreeable to see gum splotches where one walks and even more disagreeable where one sits. My wife had a good jacket ruined because one idiot parked his gum on the under side of a seat belt in an aircraft once. Apart from that, it makes many young girls look like cows chewing the cud, especially those with open mouths and vacant expressions.

Down with gum!

I think it would also be a good idea if we imported a few S'porean policemen into this country to show the locals how a police force should be run. I can think of a number of other countries that could benefit from it, too.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

At first glance, I thought the thread title was "GURM Returns to Singapore After 12 Years"

I wonder what GURM is up to.
      --Insert something here--

Comment

Gurm has been known to appear on the forums at www.3dsoundsurge.com
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Brian, gum is good if you have chronic (for whatever reason...) dry mouth. Actually, it's then the only way to speak for a longer period of time...grrr

Comment

Gum reduses stress, don't know why but it does... anywho instead of doing something as stupid as banning a product, why not just shoot the twits who gum up the world?
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Gum reduces stress, Gurm on the other hand....
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                Gum reduses stress, don't know why but it does... anywho instead of doing something as stupid as banning a product, why not just shoot the twits who gum up the world?
                OK, I'm against capital punishment, but I could make an exception

As for reducing stress, cigarettes are supposed to, as well, but that is an equally unsocial habit. Remember that song by Red Ingle in the 1950s, Cigareetes and whuskey and wild, wild women?
                Cigareettes is a blot on the whole human race
                A man is a monkey with one in his face
                Here's my definition, believe me dear brother
                A fool on one end, and a fire on t'other
                I think another verse along similar lines could be written about chewing gum

As the Devil, I'll be pleased to welcome all gum chewers in the afterlife. Heh, heh, heeh!
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I too heve ben band from SINGAPORE!

I got wakked on the bottim with a KANE!

B'ze!

Comment

Not hard enough, apparently.

Comment

Perhaps he was whacked on the top, not the bottom.

(still not hard enough, though)

- Steve

Comment

In der Stalag, ve used vooden boards undt shticks. Undt we beat zee offenders on der private places, ya!

I KNOW NOTHINK!

Comment

Working...
                        X