Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tech Report interview with ATI's David Nalasco

A pretty interesting read (found here).

I have been a long time reader of The Tech Report - they do a very good job of covering things completely, and in this case they ask a number of questions that other review sites should have been asking a long time ago.

One such example:

TR: Will we see production Radeon X800 cards with dual DVI ports?

Nalasco: I can't confirm that at this point. There's certainly no reason why such a board couldn't be produced. I'm not personally aware of anyone who's shipping one as of yet, but I would not be surprised at all if you don't see one of those eventually or in the near future.

TR: Why leave this feature off of a card that costs over $300?

Nalasco: Well, it always comes back to the market for these products. We do repeatedly look at this because it's interesting that it comes up in conversation more often than we would expect considering the total size of the market of people that have multiple DVI displays. I know our original thought was that as flat panels kind of took off in popularity, and we did foresee that quite a while ago, that there would be a large rise in demand for DVI boards. But I guess what we maybe didn't foresee was that a lot of especially the lower cost and mainstream type of flat panels would largely be still shipping with VGA inputs. And it is changing.

You know, DVI is becoming a more common feature on a wider range of flat panels, certainly, and I think as a result of that you're going to see a trend towards more DVI ports on cards. But again, it just comes down to the size of the market. It's not just us who looks at this; it's also our add-in board partners. They have to look at the economics of producing this card versus how many they're going to sell, and when it makes sense for them, they will produce it. Certainly, in order to do that—in order to support more than one DVI display—you have to, currently, add an extra component on to the board, and that does add additional cost. So you have to weigh the fact that you're going to be pushing that cost on to people who are not necessarily going to use it versus the potential marketing benefits of having it.
    Good stuff for sure...
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Love how they spin the cost factor... to add DVI is cheap, it's what they charge you for that extra $10 in production.

DW had the same mentality with the G450 heat sink... held the card back a couple 3 months pondering how to reduce power etc so they didn't spend an extra big whopping $0.05!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X