Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camera.... for my parents...

Hello,

My parents camera broke down, and they now want to go digital... They are not really in to photography (they just want to be able to make nice pictures), nor into computers (but my dad is learing ).

Their requirements: compact (max. size = Canon G2), zoom lens (approx. 3x), program exposure modes (portrait, backlight, ...).
    I added to this: compactflash (compatibility with mine), not too small (for handling), compatibility with Nikon SB800 & Nikon Capture (which I have) would be interesting.

I was thinking about the Nikon 5400 (is the only Nikon compact with a hotshoe), some smaller Coolpix (should check the current numbers), Canon G5, S50 or maybe even Ixus (depending on their taste). The Canon A range is too small I think...

Am missing interesting models here ?
    Any other suggestions ?
    (it is quite hard, as their requirements differ from mine)

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 24 May 2004, 06:14.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Hi VJ,

Canon Ixus 430 or 500 are nice. Easy to handle are as well the Pentax Optio S models (S4 or S40).

Comment

Thanks!

I forgot: low shutter lag (main issue is the pre-focus shutter lag: focussing time is not *that* important)

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

... and again ,

sadly the Pentax cams are using SD-Cards.

One of their advantages compared to Canon cams (especially for parents) is that these models behave like an usb-stick. They are recognized as drive.

When downloading photographs no certain software, adapter or reader is needed to get them quickly on any Win98, SE, ME, 2k or XP computer via usb. So your parents can use their known editing or viewing tools further without discovering new software.

Comment

Well, actually, no matter what software will be needed: they will need to discover it... My father is just beginning to learn Windows XP..

CompactFlash is quite important (I already have three 512 MB cards, being able to exchange cards is very interesting)...

Do the Ixus cameras have those program-modes (back light, portrait, ...) ?

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Hmmm.... sorry. There are no explicit modes for back light, portrait or landscape in Ixus series as those, you can find in Canon G5.

Those cams are adjustable in certain params like white level, ISO, focus fields, etc. but they stay small consumer cams which are mostly run in fully automatic mode...

Canon developers seem to spare the comfortable mode system for G- and higher series. Instead of modes they integrated further features, like high speed picture series, nine point 'Ai' auto focus, automatic motive recognizing, personal welcome pictures / sounds , direct print and certainly audio/video modes.

But the cams are undisturbing small to take them everywhere and compatible to parents, too.

Their stainless steel design makes them robust, too. Although there are still some plastic parts, like the battery flap, left.

And... you can use CF-Cards with them.

Now I see - 1.5 gigs in CF - that's a quite important reason.

Comment

The Canon S45 looks to be a nice camera (better than the S50, in fact)...

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The Nikon 5400 (4x zoom) and 5000 (3x zoom) also seem interesting... They have all the modes I'm looking for, short shutter lag, but apparently not that great an autofocus... Even the smaller coolpix (the silver ones) seem to have the program exposure modes...

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Working...
                X