450 eTV From 704x576 to DVD 720x576 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450 eTV From 704x576 to DVD 720x576 ?

I have captured movies at 704x576 MPEG2 with the newest software from Matrox on my XP 1,7GHz P4 1024 MB.

When I create VCD or SVCD's with TmpgEnc the result is fine. When I try to make DVD reolution with the same program, the Audio is distorted and the movie is not running smooth any longer.

> Is it possible to make 720x576 from a source with only 704x576?

> Has this distortion in audio something to do with 44 to 48kHz sampling?

Can someone give me some tips for the best way to make captures (704x576) to DVD video? I need to correct the audio-gap between video and audio.

Christian
    Last edited by B139B; 24 May 2004, 04:21.

I can't help much but to reassure you that D1 (704 x 576) is a legal resolution for DVD. Audio should be sampled at 48k.

Good luck!
    Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

I would say it would be a mistake to convert from 704 to 720 pixels. It's years since I did anything at 704 wide (or used TMPGEnc!), so I can't give you a direct answer. However, if you are not too experienced with the intricacies of TMPGEnc (and it is quite complicated), maybe a simpler authoring package, such as DVD MF3, will give equal or better results without worrying too much about the details.

I recommend you use your editing package to convert from 44 to 48 kHz audio sampling to allow you to check everything in Preview before encoding the MPEG-2.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I've heard that TmpgEnc can have problems with audio. Everyone suggest first ripping the audio as a WAV file then use the WAV file instead of the video's audio track in TmpgEnc.

I have a Matrox G450 eTV card and sometimes record in MPG mode. I can use the 704x480 MPG (384 Kbps MP3 audio) files directly in Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 without re-encoding. Technically, to be fully compliant with the DVD spec the audio should to be AC3, but the reality is, almost all DVD players support MP3 audio.

Comment

Whoa, JM. AC-3 is standard for NTSC, but not for PAL, and B139B is in PAL-land, judging from his formats. Older PAL DVD players do not support AC-3, although modern ones do.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
            AC-3 is standard for NTSC, but not for PAL, and B139B is in PAL-land, judging from his formats.
            Thanks for the correction. I realized he was PAL but I didn't know the PAL standard wasn't AC-3 also. In any case I just wanted to point out that he could burn his PC-VCR MPG files to DVD without converting with TmpgEnc.

Comment

704x576 DVD standard

Thanks everybody for your replies. I will give it a try to burn them directly to DVD. I havn't heard about this "704" format on DVD before. From where does it come from?

I have used TmpGenc instead of the built in Mpeg codec in Nero. The quality is much better. I think TmpGenc was also better than the Ligos codec built in Media Studio Pro 6 trial - I tested long time ago....

Christian

Comment

IMHO, the best encoding comes from the new encoders in DVD MF3 and DVD WS2. Anything is better than the Ligos MSP 6 encoder. TMPGEnc is also good but no better than the ones I mention for most things, but it is a lot more difficult to set up. I stopped using it many months ago.

As I say, IMHO

Comment

"I havn't heard about this "704" format on DVD before. From where does it come from?"

I'm not really sure of its origins. It seems to me there was a thread here a long time ago in which this subject was addressed so you might want to try the search function. D1 is exactly twice the horizontal and vertical resolution of the MPEG-1 VideoCD resolution. For PAL that's 352 x 288.
                  Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Working...
                  X