RIAA wackiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA wackiness

Here's a nice article about the RIAA's report on sales decrease.

Forget the confusing percentages, here's an oversimplified example: I shipped 1000 units last year and sold 700 of them. This year I sold 770 units but shipped only 930 units. I shipped 10% less units this year. And this is what the RIAA wants the public to accept as "a loss."
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

For the RIAA, units shipped ARE units sold - sold to the stores. How many THEY sold to customers is another thing, but this doesn't generate revenue for the RIAA. So their reasoning is actually correct this time.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
      So their reasoning is actually correct this time.

AZ
      He's a RIAA spy! lets sack him!

Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Now that I'm awake and my brain is working at least partly, their reasoning IS flawed: Less units sold to the stores (while they in turn sell MORE to customers) surely isn't a result of piracy, but of stores handling their inventory better, with less surplus stock.

AZ

Comment

I was just going to say that....
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

700 out of 1000 = 70% sales
            770 out of 930 = 82.8% sales

You can see it as a 12.8% gain in sales despite having less stock..
            statistics can be fun
            Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
            ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Well, what I said in my first post still holds true: This does indeed mean 7% less sales for the RIAA (though 10% more sales for the stores, while buing 7% less stock). The reason for this is not piracy, however, but stores managing their inventory better.

AZ

Comment

I hate the RIAA with a passion. They are all a bunch of sleazoid suits who never wrote or performed a song in their life.. just a bunch of vampires who are whining because someone found a way to circumvent the process that supplies them with money they get for exploiting artists. They got so freaked out on cocaine in the 90s that they signed a bunch of crappy, whining wusses and killed rock and roll on the spot. Guess what? People stopped buying that shallow worthless garbage. And now they are looking for a totally unrelated scapegoat for their crimes. Recording execs are scum.

Comment

I'm with KVH on this.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                    I hate the RIAA with a passion. They are all a bunch of sleazoid suits who never wrote or performed a song in their life.. just a bunch of vampires who are whining because someone found a way to circumvent the process that supplies them with money they get for exploiting artists. They got so freaked out on cocaine in the 90s that they signed a bunch of crappy, whining wusses and killed rock and roll on the spot. Guess what? People stopped buying that shallow worthless garbage. And now they are looking for a totally unrelated scapegoat for their crimes. Recording execs are scum.
                    Same thing happened in the late '70's early '80's (~78-82)
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Store efficiency is killing the music industry
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Damn those store owners! Prosecute them for not buying enough surplus inventory!

Comment

Originally posted by az
                          Well, what I said in my first post still holds true: This does indeed mean 7% less sales for the RIAA (though 10% more sales for the stores, while buing 7% less stock). The reason for this is not piracy, however, but stores managing their inventory better.

AZ
                          No, it doesn't necessarily mean that. There are returns, as well.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Could you elaborate on that pls? Returns from customers to stores or from stores to RIAA?
                            The latter would still constitue better inventory management. The former would not negate that statement either...so I don't understand.

Comment

A lot of the time the labels force shipments down stores throats. The burden is then on the store to return the unsold albums to the labels, and get the money back. With the inventory management improving, many stores are refusing these automatic shipments.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X