Attack of the Movie Stuff!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack of the Movie Stuff!!!

Today we will discuss interesting movie stuff. And maybe some interesting movie trailers.

To start with, the much anticipated Shrek 2 has hit theaters (and TV, and advertising, and product placement and ...) in an ogre sized way. Shrek 2 is opening on more screens than any other movie in history. 4163 to be exact; breaking the old record by nearly 400 screens. Linkage

The pre-summer movie season has started pretty slow. Most movies that have come out so far, save Shrek 2, have either had poor box office numbers and/or poor reviews. The MPAA will no doubt blame the drop in pre-summer sales on pirating, and not that fact that most of the movies they have released thus far have been very average at best. Only 7 of the top 25 movies from last week have gotten a 'fresh' rating from movie critic compellation site Rotten Tomatoes (RT takes every review for every movie that they can find and averages the ratings; if at least 60% of critics like the movie it gets a fresh rating).

In a surprising twist this summer, there are only 7 sequels (not including remakes and spin-offs) coming out this summer out of around 50 movies. That makes this summer one of the more original movie going years. Only one question remains ... will any of it be good?

And lastly, a little movie trailer mania brought in part to Apple.com's extremely phat pipe and plethora of trailers:

For better or for worse, Halle Berry dawns the Catwoman suit in this spin-off of the popular (and soon to get a prequel) Batman franchise. Purr away here ... meow.

Parents beware, Spongebob Squarepants gets his own movie this summer, too. Trailer

Another Chucky movie? I think the only thing left to do with this franchise is finding the owners of the film rights and filming their slow mutilation and torture.

M. Night Shyamalan's (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs) newest flick The Village is sporting a new trailer. In an interesting twist, The Village is no longer being released under the Disney name, and has instead been moved to the Disney baby company, Touchstone Pictures.

Isaac Asimov's classic I, Robot is getting the Hollywood make-over for a big summer release. The teaser and subsequent trailer left many of the book/short story fans with a bad taste. Damage control came out and released a short director interview and this new trailer to quell the rebellion among the sci-fi community.

Jet Li's newest Hong Kong flick (at least that I know of) Hero is getting a US release. Think of it as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Jet Li style, i.e. not as sappy, better fights, fantastic cinematography and a good story. It even has CT, HD Chinese hottie Ziyi Zhang in it. Beware of classic Hong Kong/Chinese storytelling campiness and cheesiness. It's at a minimum in the movie, but still present for those who don't have a strong pallet for Hong Kong movies. Check out the trailer here. This is by far, in my opinion at least, the best movie to come out of Hong Kong/China in a loooooong time!

Not being a big Tom Cruise fan I was a bit hesitant to check out his next vehicle, Collateral, but after watching the trailer ... this may just be a good movie. Other stars in this one are Jamie Foxx, Jada Pinket Smith and Mark Ruffalo. Tom Cruise as a ruthless assassin ... it's an interesting concept at least.

The Pixar engine gets going this year with The Incredibles. A fun little story about super heroes, some of them retired, this movie takes a new spin on the classic super hero story. Directed by Brad Bird of Iron Giant fame (a highly under-rated movie in my book), this one looks to be yet another winner for Pixar. Watch the new trailer here.

The final trailer for today is for The Bourne Supremacy, sequel to the sleeper hit, The Bourne Identity of a couple of years ago, and based off the novel of famed writer Robert Ludlum. The Bourne Supremacy sports the return of Matt Damon as hero Jason Bourne with Franka Potente (Run, Lola, Run/Lola rennt) as his love interest. Looks good to me!

That's all for today. Tune in next time as I discuss ... whatever comes to mind.

Jammrock
    Last edited by Jammrock; 21 May 2004, 09:41.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Nice

But it's not Frank Potente, it's Franka (though I could picture matt damon losing his identity and finding out that his true self is gay )

And Hero is a very good movie, IMHO. You just have to like myth/fairy tales. It is NOT a stupid action flick.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Oops, fixed. Thanks for catching that.

Comment

This Catwoamn movie = The Crow but with cats.

Comment

Anyone know when the Aliens Vs Prediator movie is supposed to hit? Any buzz on it?
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Potente, not Pontente

You have some weird tendency to deform her name, Jammrock

Comment

Thanks for the great summer preview.
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

The Incredibles is the last Disney movie Pixar is doing for them under contract.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Attack of the Movie Stuff!!!

Originally posted by Jammrock

Jet Li's newest Hong Kong flick (at least that I know of) Hero is getting a US release. Think of it as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Jet Li style, i.e. not as sappy, better fights, fantastic cinematography and a good story. It even has CT, HD Chinese hottie Ziyi Zhang in it. Beware of classic Hong Kong/Chinese storytelling campiness and cheesiness. It's at a minimum in the movie, but still present for those who don't have a strong pallet for Hong Kong movies. Check out the trailer here. This is by far, in my opinion at least, the best movie to come out of Hong Kong/China in a loooooong time!
                  I didn't think this movie had many fights in it, at least not many intricate ones (Nameless vs. Sky being the only exception in mind). Nothing like the fight between the female leads in CTHD.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

yeah yeah yeah ... fixed the other half of Franka Potente's name. I wrote this early in the morning to leave me alone.

Greebe: I thought Pixar had one more to go before the contract is up. I'll try and find a source to see what the scoop is...

edit: There are two movies left on the Pixar/Disney plate: The Incredibles and Cars (a movie that takes place on Route 66 ... famous US highway for those not in N. America). 2006 will be the first non-Disney funded Pixar full-feature production. I read an article last year that stated that Steve Jobs (owner/CEO of Pixar) has signed off on that project already. No news on what it is though.

Pixar press release with the last 3 Disney co-branded movies: http://corporate.pixar.com/news/20020421-78248.cfm

Wombat: I said better, not more or more intricate. They are more hard hitting and faster paced than most of the CT, HD fights, which I find to be more fun. Not that the CT, HD fights were bad ... I just enjoyed the pace and intesity of the Hero fights, for the most part. The Michelle Yeoh/Ziyi Zhang fights were phenominal.

Jammrock
                    Last edited by Jammrock; 21 May 2004, 09:53.

Comment

pardon me Cars is the last one.. P has this habit of saying one thing and meaning another
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

AvP = August 13th

There is a somewhat new trailer for that as well:

Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.

Plus a featurette:

Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.

It looks like AvP might not get butchered in the screen translation of the cult classic comic turned video game phenom. I'm actually looking forward to this one.

Jammrock

Comment

ok... Catwomen... wtf? nice costume, except for the face mask/helmet/cat ears thing.

The Bourne Supremacy looks pretty neat, as does I, Robot and The Village. Collateral might be good, not sure... Is Tom Cruise turning into the next Richard Gere/George Clooney rip off?
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

The latter German movies (Lola Rennt, Das Experiment, Goodbye Lenin) were masterpieces.

Are you coming with anything interesting this year?

Comment

"Die fetten Jahre sind Vorbei" got quite a bit of media coverage here, but I was pretty busy studying, so I cant tell you much about it.

Only that it was very low budget

Comment

Working...
                              X