12X DVD burner £76 from E-Buyer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12X DVD burner £76 from E-Buyer!

Didn't we only just go 8X? and where are the media?

DVD+R/RW: 12x (record), 4x (rewrite), 12x (read) DVD-R/RW: 8x (record), 4x (rewrite), 12x (read) CD-RW: 40x (record), 24x (rewrite), 40x (read) Fast write speed of 12x equivalent 40x CD drives Excellent compatibility with DVD-Players and DVD-ROM drives Equipped with "SuperLink" High-Speed background formatting function Large variety of bundled software for home entertainment Support recording capacity up to 4.7GB V.A.R.S. - Vibration Acoustic Reduction System Double Deck Damper Design for noise and vibrations absobent Better engineered for Air Flotation to reduce temperature
    FT.

might as well get dual layer while your at it

Comment

Nowhere. There is no 12x media. Won't be until we get 16x media. 12x writers are horrid kludge, part of no standard, avoid like plague (In case you hadn't guessed, I hold 12x drives in very low regard).
      MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

I'm getting that picture from a number of places! Think I'll go for a 8x NEC ND2500A +firmware fix.
        FT.

Comment

What's wrong with your DVD burner?

I am probably gonna bite the bullet and buy one soon so I am eager to see which one you are going to go for?
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Well for a start "my" DVD burner really ought to go back where it came from. I had a number of 'resets' during recording so I haven't bothered much with it.

Also, the CDRW in my PC is borrowed from Wifey's machine so needs replacing anyway.

I have it on good authority that the NEC is wery widely regarded for reliability and compatability. There's now a firmware fix that enables DL so I'll prolly go for that when I get paid.
            FT.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the heads up.
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Do you think DVD writers will get any faster then x8? I'm thinking of taking a plunge and getting one as well, just not sure should I wait many longer till they get faster.
                Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

8x is 7-8 minutes for 4.7GB

When 16 comes, it will be 3-4 minutes, which is not much. Just like if you have 24x CD Writter, it's not worth to upgrade to 48x.

But dual layer burners are another thing. They came out at 2.4x, which amounts to 45 minutes per dual layer disc. And just like any other new technology, it will take till 2nd generation for problems to be sorted out, fast media to come out and price premium to drop.

I think it will take about a year for dual layer to establish and another 6 to 12 months for decent speed to come out.

So, IMO 8x single layer with possible firmware upgrade is a safe buy now.

Comment

Cheers UtwigMU, That NEC looks promising then. If I get a buyer for my Lite-On CDRW then that NEC is coming my way

P.S Hehe did Slovenia joined EU as well
                    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Originally posted by Kastuvas
                      Do you think DVD writers will get any faster then x8? I'm thinking of taking a plunge and getting one as well, just not sure should I wait many longer till they get faster.
                      my guess is that we will not see much faster than 16X, as that is the fastest I have seen readers, and they have not gone up in speed at all in the last several years. .. I guess they cannot spin the disks much faster, while still keeping the laser on track
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Dual layer is not as straightforward as some marketting droids would like to have you think. Notably, the second groove is not always in the same place (it either carries straight on with a focus change & spirals inwards, or the head tracks back to the center and starts travelling outwards again. The former is often preffered for movies, for obvious reasons.
                        MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

LiteON LDW-832 is dual layer, the LDW-812 (75 quid) can be modded to burn dual layer.
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                          X