PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Dual Display

xortam
20th May 2004, 21:59
Here's (http://www.doublesight.com/) an interesting new product. Its a dual 15" LCD 1024x768 4x3 display mated together to deliver a dual window 2048x768 screen. Available now for $739 with free shipping.

DGhost
20th May 2004, 22:01
ooh, goody. free shipping.

skinrock
20th May 2004, 22:09
I just saw one like that at CompUSA.

KvHagedorn
20th May 2004, 22:37
I'm gonna wait until they make an LCD panel that is a seamless section of a sphere 6 ft wide by 2 ft tall with infinite resolutions which all look as good as its "native" res, and color purity and blacks which are as good as the best CRTs. ;)

Oh, and for under $2000. :D

rylan
21st May 2004, 05:04
They use sh*tty glass on that double display unit.

Topha
21st May 2004, 06:33
Would be really nice and much more revolutionary without that thing in the middle :(

dZeus
21st May 2004, 06:43
it uses analogue signal input too :(

az
21st May 2004, 06:57
And only 15" panels...

AZ

az
21st May 2004, 06:58
BTW, you need the "Micromedia Flash plug-in" to read their site ;)

AZ

Kurt
23rd May 2004, 06:38
From the specs:

Video connections: "Two 15-pin D-sub type".

So, big deal, it's a couple of screens put together in one case instead of two. You won't be able to use it without a DH card...

At this point, I'd rather get 3 Sony 15" with the triple foot :)

az
23rd May 2004, 06:45
Or get Three types of ANY screen with a VESA mount and buy a TH VESA stand, or make one yourself and save a few hundred Euros.

AZ

xortam
23rd May 2004, 07:57
Originally posted by az
Or get Three types of ANY screen with a VESA mount and buy a TH VESA stand, or make one yourself and save a few hundred Euros.

AZ Do they actually make TH VESA arms? Do you have a link (will search myself when I get a chance)? I like that approach.

az
23rd May 2004, 08:41
www.ergotron.com is one popular manufacturer of monitor stands that also offers multi-moitor mounts.

www.vogels.com is also a maker of monitor stands, but I don't know if they make any triplehead ones.

Generally though, VESA stands are expensive, and the multihead units even more so. If you don't need any fancy compression spring operated adjustments etc, making one yourself is not exactly rocket science and can save you a LOT of money (to buy better or more screens, or a P8X, or whatever :))

AZ

rylan
23rd May 2004, 09:52
I never liked the ergotron stuff... its kind of ugly and a serious pain in the ass to assemble or route cables. Plus their stuff is very expensive.

Kurt
23rd May 2004, 14:34
Originally posted by az

AZ

See, I get it for FREE ;)

skinrock
23rd May 2004, 20:12
Originally posted by Topha
Would be really nice and much more revolutionary without that thing in the middle :(

I agree, how come they make them like that? Is it cheaper? I'd rather go with a seamless widescreen display.

rylan
24th May 2004, 05:04
Its made that way because they use two lcd glass modules, which have their own metal frame to house the glass and electronics. Its not going to be seamless unless its a single piece of glass.

az
24th May 2004, 17:27
So in essence what they do is nothing more than case-modding ;)

AZ

leech
25th May 2004, 04:18
What about getting three of those widescreen Mac LCD's.. Would that even work properly with the Parhelia? (those are expensive as all hell though...)

Leech

az
25th May 2004, 05:34
Why not? Though you would need DVI->ADC converters for it to work (like the Dr. Bott DVIator), and you couldn't use certain controls (brightness, for instance) since these are controlled by some software that runs on the mac and sends the commands through the ADC. Though the Apple displays are only rebadged Samsungs (IIRC) in a different case and for less money.

AZ

spadnos
25th May 2004, 10:05
Try one of these (http://www.massedi.com/index.htm) (if you have the cash)

- Steve

xortam
2nd June 2004, 12:45
Originally posted by az
... Generally though, VESA stands are expensive, and the multihead units even more so. If you don't need any fancy compression spring operated adjustments etc, making one yourself is not exactly rocket science and can save you a LOT of money (to buy better or more screens, or a P8X, or whatever...Thanks az, et.al. ... I'll check those sites out further when I get a chance. I've been yanking my new LCD WS monitor around between the coffee table, fireplace, and outside patio so far and I've just begun to use the display. I need to establish where I want to wall mount the panel and I'll will want some spring loaded arms at least in one location.

AFA expense ... no problem ... I won't be needing a lot of money after I'm dead anyway. ;)

Mehen
4th June 2004, 20:53
I would give my first born child for a seamless dual 15" LCD
email me if you need a child...