The Bleeding Obvious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bleeding Obvious

I do network administration and end user support. A particular clerical person was always having problems running Windows for Workgroups. The hard drive finally crashed, and when we got it back I convinced the boss to load her machine with DOS only. I created a batch file menu, tested it, and then compiled it into an exe file. When the person was at lunch I installed it on her machine.

When she came back from lunch she called and said her computer didn't work. I asked her to read the screen to me. She said "Bad Command or File Name." So I went over to her desk.

We started her machine and the file menu screen came up. It read:

1. Main Frame
    2. Word Processing

Press the number of your choice and hit [enter].

It looked right, so I told her to press either 1 or 2 depending on whether she wanted to go to the main frame or the word processing package. She pressed 4. And, of course, we got the error. When I asked her why she pressed 4, she said, "It says press the number of my choice! I choose 4!"
    Humorous anecdotes of users creatively misusing computers.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Grrr!!!
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Must be a former nurse
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The stupidity here is the guy who did the bat>exe file did not think to include a choice of ONLY 1 or 2 and to send any other number back to the start.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

In my younger days I made some radio amateur communications programs in C/C++.
          I tried to make the programs so user friendly as possible. I tried to simulate all kind off stupid errors a user can do.
          Never was my program “perfect”
          There is always a user with lively imagination who finds newer and newer crazy errors and pushes the wrong button.
          I realized that there is no perfect programmer, but always a “perfect” user, and the customer has always right.

Fred
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I lied the user who insisted in typing the word space for space.

ipconfigspace/all doesn't work does it?
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

...or user who typed: format c:\ but fortunatelly typed the word enter for enter.

Fred
              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

i was once trying to format a flopy disk.... every time i put in the comand it just wouldnt work... then after the format comand i decided to be nice and say please...... it worked.....
                "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Working...
                X