My parhelia to be replaced.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My parhelia to be replaced.

Just bought a Geforce FX5900 (not the XT) for $165 shipped.

That should cure my Linux/Matrox woes.

Given that I should get some $200 or more for my Parhelia, I win out in the end.

As for my continued use of Matrox, only the G400 in my dedicated linux box will remain...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Probably a good idea to be honest as the linux/parhelia support is well You can now play games with Anti - Aliasing and Anistropic filtering at a still playable FPS. Plus the fact that you'll have less problems with games in general due to better support plus the 2d quality is nice on the 5900.

Comment

Tried any gaming yet? ET,utk4,tux

Comment

Just bought the card. I'd expect it to arrive in about a week.
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I ended up getting a FireGL 8800 off eBay. £35, Parhelia-level raw performance, full open-source support for practically every feature (missing motion-comp support is the only one that comes to mind, but my machine's far too fast to need that), and signal quality on the same level as my G400 Max (okay, so a bit worse on the DVI output).

Disadvantages? The stupid Windows drivers have NO gaming adjustments - AA only seems to work with OpenGL and has no performance/quality options, and there is no mention of anisotropy or anything else. Loads of options for 3DSMax/AutoCAD/loads of other programs I'll never use though.

But then again, it runs everything I've tried so far (which is NOLF, MBTR, and iL-2, so not much) at 1600x1200x32 very smoothly with all the eye-candy turned on, so I'm not complaining much iL-2 in particular looks absolutely beautiful - the G400 really couldn't do it justice.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

The FireGL 8800 (and 8700) are basicly just Radeon 8500's with 128 or 64 megs of RAM. You can do a little .ini editing in the Catalyst installer and use the regular drivers for Windows.

Comment

About the Linux support, Matrox is recruiting a couple of engineers for driver developpement under Linux. sounds like good news for you guys
              System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                The FireGL 8800 (and 8700) are basicly just Radeon 8500's with 128 or 64 megs of RAM. You can do a little .ini editing in the Catalyst installer and use the regular drivers for Windows.
                More info/links? I knew the hardware was basically the same, but I never found any info on running the Catalyst drivers on it.

This "make near-identical hardware and forcibly differentiate them with drivers" attitude is something that really bugs me about the Windows/closed-source world. (And something which Matrox should be commended for not doing too.)
                Last edited by Ribbit; 19 May 2004, 08:20.
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by PAugustin
                  About the Linux support, Matrox is recruiting a couple of engineers for driver developpement under Linux. sounds like good news for you guys
                  eh source?

K6- III, succes with your new card , i'm still doubting about buying the new X800 Pro or a 9800Pro (expecting a price fall) to replace my (almost unsupported) Parhelia.
                  Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                  Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                    More info/links? I knew the hardware was basically the same, but I never found any info on running the Catalyst drivers on it.

This "make near-identical hardware and forcibly differentiate them with drivers" attitude is something that really bugs me about the Windows/closed-source world. (And something which Matrox should be commended for not doing too.)
                    I don't see what's wrong with that practice. It means you can buy a 8500 cheap without having to pay for all the effort that has been put in polishing the drivers for pro-market apps. And those that want to use the card for those means usually have the money to pay for that premium, and thus are forced to.

According to you, differentiating with hardware through different product lines is 'allowed' but differentiating through all other means is not? talk about making stuff inefficient...

Comment

What makes you think Matrox doesn't do it?
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What makes you think that I think that Matrox doesn't do this?

Comment

What makes you think that I think that you think that Matrox doesn't do this? (i think?)
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

What makes me think you guys think at all?
                            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

you think so?

Comment

Working...
                              X