USB DVD burner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB DVD burner?

Ok, I need a reccomendation here. I need a USB 2.0 DVD burner (that's reverse compatible with USB 1.x), that will CERTAINLY work with Norton Ghost.

Any ideas?

Plextor PX-708UF if you want + and - burn capability. According to the datasheet its USB2.0 but also works with 1.1 (although painfully slow as expected). I have no idea on what all is compatible with ghost for dvd though. You'd think Plextor would work with it, since their burners are top of the line.

Comment

Hmm, so this points to the fact that it SHOULD work...but sometimes it may have issues...

Comment

Hrm.. wierd. Not sure how that would effect the DVD burners, since that article is about a year old. I'd hope they fixed that by now.

Comment

I have the 4x version of this ($30 cheaper) and the thing works fine with no drivers (versus the backpack units we have at work). How are you getting usb drives to work in DOS though? or am I just out of the dos/ghost loop now
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
            You'd think Plextor would work with it, since their burners are top of the line.
            <B>Were.</B> Plextor has really been cutting corners the past few years, and OEMing, I think. I don't trust their stuff the way I used to.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by dparadis
              http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...106-944&depa=0

I have the 4x version of this ($30 cheaper) and the thing works fine with no drivers (versus the backpack units we have at work). How are you getting usb drives to work in DOS though? or am I just out of the dos/ghost loop now
              Ghost has dos drivers for USB/USB2/Firewire included.. they appear to be Iomega drivers and do work. for the USB2 ones, I had to unplug EVERYTHING else but the drive to make it work, but it did work. It was an external USB2 HDD I used at the time
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Panasonic also have USB1.1/2.0 DOS drivers. You can google them...they're pretty generic so they should work with a variety of equipment.

Comment

Interesting.

I wish I could email symantec somehow and ask them if it's compatible.

Comment

Working...
                  X