Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS/2 to USB adapter?

Is that even possible?
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

I think I have a usb mouse that came with an adapter. I know it's working in a ps/2 plug.

Comment

Yeah, USB to PS/2 works, but the other way around?
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Essentially the same: The mouse needs to have both controllers built-in. The adapter is really just a dumb plug.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I think TnT means an adaptor that lets you use your PS/2 port as a generic USB port?

If so, I think the port has no output capabilities and thus would work rather poorly (an understatment) even if you could manage to get it's sampling rate high enough to input at USB 1.1 speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram

If so, I think the port has no output capabilities and thus would work rather poorly (an understatment) even if you could manage to get it's sampling rate high enough to input at USB 1.1 speeds.
            I think the PS/2 has some output, considering it powers mice and keyboards, however, I don't think it's meant for transferring large packets of data.
            2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
            533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
            64 MB Radeon Mobility
            w/128 MB Video Buffer
            40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
            DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Comment

To clarify, a friend bought a mechanic (clickity-clack) keyboard for his laptop forgetting that the laptop only has USB ports. So he was wondering if there was a cheap way to get the keyboard connected.

Oh and I did a google search and saw a few. I don't know why I didn't before, guess I was just already here and got lazy

Comment

Originally posted by skinrock
                I think the PS/2 has some output, considering it powers mice and keyboards, however, I don't think it's meant for transferring large packets of data.
                I gather the PS/2 mouse port is the same as the keyboard port, just with a different pinout and I/O address. That being the case, it does have output ability (it's really just a serial port), but yeah, you're nuts if you use it for any serious communications.
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Ribbit: Ah, this brings back memories to systemprogramming... We had to write our own keyboard driver for linux, in order to make the three LEDs (num/shift/scroll lock) flash at given frequencies... It did make it hard to work on the keyboard (because of all the keyboard interrupts that were generated)...

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Forgot about the keyboard LED's being controled by the system, WinUAE can use them to simulate the LED's of the emulated Amiga.

Comment

THere are adapters out there, but with a catch. The device has to support USB, and the pin-outs have to made for the specific adapter. As in you can't use a PS/2 -> USB keyboard adapter on a mouse (in most cases at least).

In most cases it's easier just to get a native USB device.

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

FYI, Cherry make (expensive) USB Clicky-Keyboards that look old-school and are quite reliable. You can choose between click, soft click, and linear action (no click). Model Number's G80-3xxxx (Not G81, and certainly not G83!)

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I've had several customers who have come in with wrecked USB devices that they have tried to plug into the PS/2 port using a MS or logitech USB->PS/2 plug.
                          And I have had to spend an excessive amount of time to explain why it didn't work and will never ever work
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
                            To clarify, a friend bought a mechanic (clickity-clack) keyboard for his laptop forgetting that the laptop only has USB ports. So he was wondering if there was a cheap way to get the keyboard connected.

Oh and I did a google search and saw a few. I don't know why I didn't before, guess I was just already here and got lazy
                            I have seen the adaptors you need. They do exist and are actually not all that expensive. You should be able to find them easily at your local computer store or even places like CompUSA. (or any other large retailer that sells a significant amount of computer hardware)
                            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                            X