Driver Update From Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver Update From Hell

There is no other way to describe it. You probably know that the new nVidia nForce drivers came out. What a load of greave that
    turned out to be

As you do I have uninstalled the old one and installed the new ones. Everything was fine until I noticed that the new NVmixer
    doesn’t have a bloody button to enable centre channel. Only 4 speakers were playing when listening to mp3's. So I thought
    I will be clever and use the new wonderful nVidia's uninstaller utility where you can select parts of the driver you want to uninstall.
    I though I will just uninstall the new sound driver and install the old one as it had an option to enable centre channel.

F*** how wrong I was, after uninstalling the damn thing, windows asked to restart as it does. But as it turned out to be I won’t be able to restart
    Whenever windows starts loading it resets and starts again. Even in safe mode. How bloody stupid is that. Thank F*** I had a back up hard drive with just windows on it. At least I am able to run that and access my primary hard drive. If any of you guys would know how to fix this problem I would be very great full. If not well
    What else can I do but just spend a whole day reformatting.

I have found this on nVidia site. And tried it but it doesn't do a thing. Also I have tried coping windows/system32/drivers files from the back up hard drive to my primary one but that as well did jack s***.

Sorry for the language I feel very angry and pissed off that a driver update turned out like this.

Your system is unbootable because you tried to use Add/Remove programs on the nForce 2.42 driver kit

Recovering Windows
    1. Copy the “nvatabus.sys” file to a floppy disk. This file is included in the zip file that include these instructions.
    2. Boot system to Windows XP installation CD.
    3. At the Setup screen, press ”R”.
    4. This will bring up the repair console.

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
    <To cancel, press ENTER>?

Hit “1” and <ENTER> or the number that represent your Windows XP installation.

Type the Administrator password:

Type password and hit <ENTER>

Insert the floppy disk with the "nvatabus.sys” file into the floppy drive. At the command prompt, type “copy a:\nvatabus.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers” and hit <ENTER>. Once file has been copied, type “EXIT” and hit <ENTER>. This will reboot your system. Remove floppy from system.

5. When the system restarts, hit “Cancel” when all devices are detected
    6. Re-install the nForce 2.03 driver kit.
    7. Click “Yes to all” when asked to overwriting old files
    8. Reboot when install is complete
    9. Upon system restart, right mouse click on My Computer and select Properties
    10. Select the “Hardware” tab
    11. Click on the “Device Manager” button
    12. Expand the section labeled “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers”
    13. Left mouse click on the option labeled “NVIDIA NForce(TM) MCP2 IDE Controller” or “NVIDIA® nForce(TM) IDE Controller” (your system will only have one of the above options) (See option2.16.bmp)
    14. Right mouse click and select “Update Driver” (See option2.17.bmp)
    15. Select “Install from a list of specific location (Advanced)”
    16. Select “Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install”
    17. Select the driver “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller”
    18. Reboot.
    19. After reboot allow device detection.
    20. Reboot again.
    Everything should now be working correctly
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Well, I just started shopping for a new MB.
    Guess I know what chip set I won't be using.
    Hope you get it worked out.
    Chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Never had that problem with a SiS 74x mobo.
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I have posted the same post on the nvnews forum hopefully someone will come up with something till tonigh otherwise its C:\FORMAT

"The old SoundStorm control panel still works as well (for those who don't like the NV Mixer) ... I created a shortcut to sstorm.exe for the "create center channel" check box and the speaker test feature"

If I only done this....
        Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Might be worth having a look at http://www.nforcershq.com/ as well.
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I fixed it now. Instead of reinstalling windows I have repaird the partition.

Comment

I wonder if Nvidea hired some out of work Via programmers for their motherboard drivers???
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Do not unistall nforce drivers, install new ones over the top...its been that way for a while 3.13's put me into a simlar situation.

and the nforcerhq.com forums gnep pointed to are very good for this kind nvidia chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                  I wonder if Nvidea hired some out of work Via programmers for their motherboard drivers???
                  Care to guess why they were out of work?
                  Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Thanks Marshmallowman, I have tried again yesterday. I have uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and even used driver cleaner. When I installed it on a clean system it f**** up again i couldn't restart so I had to repair the partition again. Either those drivers are seriously f***** up or I am the unluckiest guy in the world hehe.

I will try now installing them on top of the old ones if it does that again nVidia can go to hell.

Comment

The 4.24 udp drivers work fine for me on the A7N8X-E. As has been pointed out before, I just installed them on top of the 3.13 drivers.

The new 4.31 audio drivers do support the "create center channel" function. Unfortunately, there is no checkbox in nVmixer. However, you can just change the CreateCenter registry value. Its located somewhere in the CurrentControlSet... just search for GlobalVolume.

Comment

Yeah it worked when installing them on top. I have used the sound storm utility to enable the centre channel.

Still that kind of thing shouldn't happen!

Comment

Working...
                        X