Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pivot display with Parhelia

Hello,

I'm considering the Eizo L568 for use on my Parhelia (connected via DVI-D; secondary display would be a Philips Brilliance CRT).

This display supports ActiveRotation, which is a pivot-function that allows the monitor to be swapped from landscape to portrait.

Does this work with Parhelia ?
    (compatibility list only goes up to G550, and states it needs a driver modified by Eizo)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Pivot is indeed a very missed option in the Pxxx and Gxxx series, and could well be an unique selling point for people to decide to buy a card from another vendor, who allready integrated this functionality in their drivers...
    Peter Aragon
    Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

Well, it is not *that* important (no reason not to buy the display and use it with my Parhelia), I just like to know what to expect beforehand...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Rotation works great with my brother's combination of Radeon 9000 Pro and Samsung 213T.

Not so with Parhelia...
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I'm using a Parhelia with a pair of Viewsonic VP171B's, through the DVI output.

These monitors came with Pivot Pro software, which takes care of the rotation.

It works pretty well. The only downside is that after I rotate both displays, I then rotate the desktops separtely in the software. Then, I need to actually change the resolution on the second head to the permutation of the standard resolution, e.g. 1280x1024 to 1024x1280.

It's not as annoying to me as it may sound. Moreover, when I feel motivated, I'll program some hotkeys to perform these functions, and I'll be all set.

Now... software solutions are inherently slower that a hardware solution (search around on the other Matrox forums , i.e. matrox.com) and you see references to this.

CEM
          System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

P.S. on the whole, I love the setup. I don't think we all should be so down on Matrox's lack of "in driver" support.

I have an Nvidia quadro card at work, and it does rotate in driver, and it is a little more seamless, but not so much so as to be a deal breaker.

CEM
            System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

The Parhelia can do hardware rotation, but I believe the monitor needs to have a special EDID with the correct resolution and syncs for the driver to tell the board to do that. Otherwise you just see normal landscape resolutions.

As mentioned, the newer Radeon cards have a rotation feature in the driver control panel.

Comment

Congrats for your choice of the L568! I use the L565 and I'm perfectly happy with it! Pivot should be possible with some add-on software I've forgotten.

Cheers, Hannes

Comment

Thanks!

Just searched on Matrox.com: and found a thread about the P650 and ActiveRotation (on another Eizo display). Matrox Support suggest pivot software...

The choise for the L568 was easy: I have a test here, and it gets the most points for imagequality, features and user-friendlyness. It only looses to other displays because of the price...

Jörg
                  Last edited by VJ; 18 May 2004, 00:24.
                  pixar

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                    The Parhelia can do hardware rotation, but I believe the monitor needs to have a special EDID with the correct resolution and syncs for the driver to tell the board to do that.
                    Do you have any references to this ?

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

I thought I read it on Matrox's site about needing the correct EDID in the monitor, but can't seem to find it in the parhelia sections. Hrm... its on their MED series of cards for portrait high resolutions displays, but I'm pretty sure we have a couple Parhelias at work here running some monitors in portrait mode. Since they use the same graphics chip it should be able to rotate without the nasty pivot software.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                        Thanks!

Just searched on Matrox.com: and found a thread about the P650 and ActiveRotation (on another Eizo display). Matrox Support suggest pivot software...

The choise for the L568 was easy: I have a test here, and it gets the most points for imagequality, features and user-friendlyness. It only looses to other displays because of the price...

Jörg
                        That's Eizo for you

Comment

Well, I asked the pivot-question on the Matrox forum:

They say it cannot be done on the retail Parhelia...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Just another thing M missed the boat on... Oh it can do, but they don't want the hassle to do this feature 'officially'
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                              Oh it can do, but they don't want the hassle to do this feature 'officially'
                              Do you mean you can 'tweak' it to pivot, or is it shielded enough so that this even isn't possible ?

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X