Ok, I need some assistance with a VB program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I need some assistance with a VB program

I have been messing around with VB lately (See Picture)
    The purpose of this program is a Childs game, it displays a picture on the screen and the child must pick its type and name from and options and a list.

Though once I get to the last animal the program crashes. The other thing I want to get working is a top5, so when the program ends it compares their score to the existing top5, then it asks for their name through an msg box, and replaces an existing top5 score with theirs. I'd like the top5 to be on a seperate form.
    If you want to have a look at the program it can be found on my ftp http://www.myjavaserver.com/~gibbon565/ in zip form (400k or so)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by 3dfx; 16 May 2004, 15:08.

OOH, I love VB, I'm a VB expert. I'll download the prog and have it running in no time.
    2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
    533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
    64 MB Radeon Mobility
    w/128 MB Video Buffer
    40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
    DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Comment

Hey, where are the rest of the pics?
      64 MB Radeon Mobility
      w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

BTW, hopefully you can get me more pics, but in the mean time, I'm gonna redo the entire thing, I'm gonna keep the same idea, but I'm gonna use some techniques I've learned for what you're trying to get at.

I have randomization in, but the missing pictures is really hurting me. It's not crashing, as I have an error catch to prevent it, but it's hard to test it with so many pictures not showing up.

I'll use the same post so as not so spam: It's actually almost done, I just need to clean up a few things, and add in your high scores wish, which will be real simple. I will finish up tomorrow (Sunday), going to bed now.
        Last edited by skinrock; 15 May 2004, 21:56.
        64 MB Radeon Mobility
        w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

Many thanks

I cant wait to see it

EDIT I have put the rest of the pics on my ftp, the zip file is called pics.zip
          Last edited by 3dfx; 16 May 2004, 10:51.

Comment

Aight

Coo, I'll download them. I don't know if I can get back to it tonight, I didn't bring my notebook with me. If I don't tonight, tomorrow I'll do it.
            64 MB Radeon Mobility
            w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

great skinrock

thanks again
              Andy

Comment

When you say it gets to the last animal, do you mean right when it gets to it or right after it?

For the Top5 use a file written to the program's directory. The file would have a top scorer on each line with the format name,score
                When a player finishes check to see if the file, say 'hiscore', exists.
                If it doesn't then create it with each score being:
                Then replace the top line with the current score.
                If it is there than compare the current score with that of the top line, then second line, ... If it is higher than any line then move things down and stick in the current score.

You can display the scores on another form by reading the file at launch and putting each line into a label.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Ya, I was gonna use the same idea as the animal data text file you created. The problem with it crashing is probably an out of bounds array error. I wasn't able to completely run your version as I didn't have all the pictures, so while I was waiting for them, like I said I rewrote all of it, and I didn't hit that problem yet. Sorry I really didn't update today, sh!t came up, had to clean a boat up so we can take it out this weekend. I will work on it tonight, shouldn't take too much longer.
                  64 MB Radeon Mobility
                  w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

The program that was on my ftp didn't crash, it would just get to the 39th pic and start again. As you can understand the problem with that is people can keep re-taking the quiz to increase their running score. I look forward to seeing your final program, can you host it on an ftp ?? or you could email it to me andy109@blueyonder.co.uk (though please let me know you have as I get a lot of junk mail on that account)

Comment

Well...I had it working...I stress had. I don't think it will be done tonight...as I lost about 3 hours of coding...very, very important coding. It's going to be tough for me to recreate it...not because I don't think I can remember it, but because I am EXTREMELY frustrated. You can't comprehend how mad I am. Anyways, I will try to pull myself together and redo it.
                      64 MB Radeon Mobility
                      w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

oh jeez I'm sorry to hear that I have found a couple of programs while searching that might beable to help one is called student marks and the other is health program.

thanks

Comment

Ah..I think I pretty much got it. I had the high scores implemented too, and I lost that, but I just stole some code from another program I wrote awhile back, so I can get that again. I'm just having one small, minor problem regarding a counter, as soon as I remember what I did, it should work again...and I'll save it! Should be done within the hour.
                          64 MB Radeon Mobility
                          w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

Great

Comment

Ha, speak of the devil. I just cracked it. Seems to be fine now. Let me put the high scores back in, test it a few times, and upload it for ya.
                              64 MB Radeon Mobility
                              w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

Working...
                              X