Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick out a Laptop

Hi,

I am planning to buy a laptop in the near future, and I was overwhelmed with the different types available. I have been mainly looking at Sager, since they make good stuff. But I recently found out that there is a company called "Cleo", which actually makes the guts of the Sager laptop - that is, they sell the body to Sager without the CPU, hard drive, RAM, and video card. Does anybody know where I can get a Cleo, so I can customize it myself.........Otherwise I was looking at the IBM X31, and the Apple 15" Powerbook. As expected, I want something light (say 6 pounds), well made, and durable. I also want something that will hold up to 2Gs of ram, and hopefully hold a 7200 RPM drive. The IBM has metal hinges, so the screen will never come loose. I have read that there are quality control issues with the Powerbook, which is ashamed, since I really wanted to play around with the MacOS (which is based on the FreeBSD kernel). Should I go with a Centrino? What are you're thoughts/opinions? Also what about this WiFI stuff? This would be my first laptop, and I am a bit behind in the times.......I am really a custom making freak, and would like something which I can tinker around with (ie: change the video card, sound card (and no CREATIVE LABS junk!), etc). Good Battery life is always a plus. I don't need the CD/DVD drives attached to the laptop; they take up valuable space, and I don't use them that often (why bother when you can network everything). I would prefer not to have speakers on there either, why bother adding junk to the cost.

I would prefer not to have any software installed either, since I can do that myself. So far the only place I know of where they give you a blank hard drive is www.discountlaptops.com

Also do you guys have any recommendations on what motherboards to look for when shopping for a laptop. My ASUS P2B-DS has seved me well; I want an equivalant motherboard for my first laptop (that is, rock-solid and stable).

Also does anyone know where I can get a refurbished laptop? I don't need new stuff, but I do want a warranty.
    Last edited by X-Caliber; 13 May 2004, 21:51.
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

If you look in my sig, those are the specs for my HP laptop. I've had it for a year, no problems, it's great, very reliable, fast. I could only put in 1 gig of ram, but it's more than enough, I didn't know they supported 2 on notebooks, yet. When it comes to notebooks, customization is limited. Overall, my opinion is look into an HP notebook, if I ever upgrade, I will probably get another one of theirs.
    2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
    533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
    64 MB Radeon Mobility
    w/128 MB Video Buffer
    40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
    DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Comment

The main problem with the powerbooks was with the backlight on the LCD. It would leak through the screen and cause big blobs of glowing light. Supposedly that has been resolved.

I don't have a laptop, but for super light I was considering getting a Fujitsu.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I think the markup on HP laptops is pretty high, and they also look a lot like the Sager laptops. I haven't heard too much about Fujitsu laptops, but I also don't need superlight. Has anyone heard of the chemnotebooks?
        ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Comment

I have an ancient Fujitsu 635T with P133 and it has worked great for years. BUT, battery life is poor, the only drawback for me.
          P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

sorry, not to familiar with what you can get in the USA. but if i were to get one here it'd probably be an Acer. one of the 1500 series.

p.s. i just saw the changed the 1501 to the 1511, and replaced the 9600 mobile with a 5700 :S
            Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Your definitely want a Pentium M based laptop if you plan to run from battery a lot. I'd also stick to a reputable brand such as HP/Compaq, Toshiba, IBM or possibly Sony.
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Take a look at this:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X