Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Partition Question

I got my new 200gb HD.
    What I would like to do is partition all but about 32gb as one big xp partition and leave the rest for linux & such.
    Of course, when you install xp the max partition size is 132gb.

I installed xp, upgraded to sp1 and now it can see all 200gb.
    The question is can Partition Magic 7 expand the 130gb partition to 164 gb?.
    Or is there another way.

I haven't installed much on the new drive yet and I still have my old win2k drive so I could just experiment on the new one.
    But I figured someone here would just know the answer.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Sounds like you did a fresh install, and thus have little to lose. Goooood.

Would you have been able to create the 160GB partition if you had used a slipstreamed SP1 disc?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Partition magic should be able to do that for you without requiring a re-install. Just make sure you run a scandisk (with full surface scan) before you do the resize. I once had partition magic choke part way through a resize, and that's, ummm, bad
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat

Would you have been able to create the 160GB partition if you had used a slipstreamed SP1 disc?
        I have no idea.
        What is a "slipstreamed" SP1 disk?

Originally posted by agallag

..Just make sure you run a scandisk (with full surface scan)..
        Surface scan 200gb? ouch!

Thanks,
        Chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley

What is a "slipstreamed" SP1 disk?
          REPLACED: Creating a bootable Windows XP SP1 CD (Nero 5) (REPLACED) tutorial,tutorials,walk through, help, fixing, fix, fixes, support, repair, advice, patch, bug, patches

Comment

Yes, VERY handy. If nothing else, you can install WinXP, and go online without the Nachi worm or whatnot hitting you.

Slipstreamed discs are GREAT things to have, and to make for semi-computer-literate family.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

any news of a release date for SP2... I could do with making a new slipstreamed disk...
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Yes, VERY handy. If nothing else, you can install WinXP, and go online without the Nachi worm or whatnot hitting you.

Slipstreamed discs are GREAT things to have, and to make for semi-computer-literate family.
                Err nope you'll need to intregrate the later security fixes. Sp1 doesn't have the fix for nachi or blaster.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Cool info guys!
                  I'm making one now at work using our corporate copy.
                  If my MSDN key doesn't work when I get it home I'll have to make another though.

I don't think SP2 comes out untill next month (acording to our techs))

Chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                    Err nope you'll need to intregrate the later security fixes. Sp1 doesn't have the fix for nachi or blaster.
                    You can slipstream those on, too.

Comment

You can slipstream those on, too.
                      How?
                      Thanks,
                      Chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                        How?
                        Thanks,
                        Chuck
                        E.g. Win2k: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...4/HFDeploy.htm

WinXP: http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/p...1/spdeploy.asp

Works perfect, altough the procedure is quite error prone. I created myself a Win2K SP4 bootable CD with hotfixes a few months ago without a problem.
                        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Last edited by Wombat; 13 May 2004, 14:23.

Comment

Ok, I've gathered all the files I need to slipstream the hotfix.
                            And documented everything.
                            I'll go home & try it out.
                            But are you sure it wouldn't have been simpler just to write my own OS?
                            Chuck
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

You know you can just turn on the built-in XP firewall to protect it from those worms before you go online and download the patches right?

Comment

Working...
                              X