Pop3/smtp/imap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop3/smtp/imap

I want to be able to access mail from one folder in outlook using my P900. I can configure the phone for POP3 or IMAP using GPRS, but what would I do on my PC?

I dont want to install anything as complicated as exchange. There must be a small mailserver program out there that will run with outlook?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

The folder is outlook, is this a local folder (defined from within Outlook) ?
    (i.e. not a server-side folder like with IMAP ?)

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 9 May 2004, 04:27.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The folder i want to access is local.
      I should be able to access it via IMAP over my broadband & GPRS connection., shouldn't I?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Your trying to access an email client from an email client, which I can't see working. You could use Outlook to access the mail server via IMAP and then do the same on the P900 or contiune to use POP3 but setup Outlook to leave the messages on the server after downloading.
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post.
          I am looking for a pop3/imap mail server that will host mail in on Outlooks folders. I can do this using exchange on the server but it would be incredible overkill.

Comment

Why don't you check the box "leave mail on server", then you can access your email from your phone. When you get home, you can move your read mail to a local folder(within the mail program) and your problem is solved.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
              The folder i want to access is local.
              I should be able to access it via IMAP over my broadband & GPRS connection., shouldn't I?
              Local folders cannot be accessed. The way IMAP works is, it leaves all of your mail on the server so that you can check your mail anywhere and get all of it.

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

If your mail's in an outlook folder, it's not in a good place to serve anywhere else.

If your mail provider gives you IMAP access, use it in outlook and on your phone. Make sure neither of them are downloading the messages POP3-fashion - what Helevitia said is the way IMAP was designed, but not always the way it's used.

If your mail provider doesn't give you IMAP and you can't change to one who does, you might be able to set up your own, depending on your Internet connection, spare hardware or Linux/etc. servers you have lying around, and your knowledge. (If you do this, I'd recommend using the Cyrus IMAP server, though it's a bit hard to figure out the finer points.)
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

ok. The reason I want to be able to access my email from my phone is that I will be hospital for a while. I am also in the middle of trying to coordinate moving house - most of which is done via email. I get too many emails per day to just 'leave them on the server'. Want I want to do is flag up certain emails so that I can read and reply from my phone. If I install exchange server it will work, but it will also take over my machine.

I just want to run a small imap/pop3 server from my machine, can anyone recommend a program to do this?

Comment

No, because the problem is that you're trying to do this from data that outlook has already downloaded and made its own.

Also, you haven't told us what kind of transfer your work is using. If they're using Exchange to serve their mail, you're pretty much SOL. The mail at work is probably already being run off of an exchange server - at my company, mail is kept on the exchange server.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Paddy, is this any good?

It can be setup to collect mail from a POP3 account and stick it into a local mailbox which you can then access via webmail or a POP3 client

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I think what you're looking for is GoPOP:
                        GoPOP runs on your primary computer while you're away, and allows you to connect from a secondary computer to read your email. You can read your email with any standard mail reader (cell phone, wireless PDA, another computer, etc). GoPOP also lets you read mail in all of your folders, not just your Inbox.

However, if you don't want to spend the $30 and can't find something on sourceforge that does the same thing, you could try VNC.

The P900 runs the Symbian OS, right? You could run a VNC client on it and run a VNC server on your Outlook machine.

Comment

Can't you just set up some forwarding rules on your work PC, so that it forwards certain e-mails to another e-mail address?
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

GoPop looks to be exactly what i want, but it seems that it wont run here... the installer works fine, but the program just gives a runtime error

Anyone know of an alternative to GoPOP?

Comment

Working...
                            X