Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP ScanJet 4Si Help

Hi all,

Just found an HP ScanJet 4Si being binned at work, and after a quick glance I thought I could take off the network box and use it as a SCSI scanner. Now I've got it home I see you need to use it over the network, but it only seems to do IPX

Any ideas on getting it to understand TCP/IP? The network box is a PC - you can hear the harddrive being read as you power it up!

Pretty sure this is one for the bin

heh just opened it up and it's a 486SX-33 with 4MB RAM. I haven't got an ISA graphics card though to see it boot up

Has an adaptec 1505 SCSI card, 140Mb hard drive and the insides of the case is made out of polystyrene

Old technology makes me laugh sometimes!

Argh and it's only black and white - in the bin it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC
      Argh and it's only black and white
      Yep, it was meant as a networkable document scanner. Seemed to be popular with solicitors and the like
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Your ScanJet

Hi SteveC,

Have you actually stuck it in the bin?

I've an Token Ring version, and I'd have dearly loved the ethenet card and hard disk of an ethernet version as I've a huge pile of paperwork I'd like to scan to cd-rom and bin!

Comment

I do still have it - remember it doesn't do TCP/IP though!

Comment

Ah! Yeah, I got mine off a local computer shop without really twigging: a) it needs Netware, and b) token ring too!

Following your lead I've just opened mine up and stuck in an ISA VGA card. You get the Award bios screen, "Starting ROMDOS" and loading EMM386 and then no more - with the scanner itself hung on "Self Test, Please Wait ...".

Taking the card out and it "boots" normally, which for me ends with "Network Error 150" if it's not attached to a LAN. (Out of interest, is that what yours does?)

Apart from that, would you be interested in passing yours on (in parts or the whole thing)? I live in SW London and should be able to collect it from you if you're agreeable.

PS: Yeah, the polysterene was a bit of a surprise! Though I see it's shaped to press down on the power and IDE cables to stop them working loose!
            Last edited by pgboys; 22 May 2004, 07:23.

Comment

Working...
            X