Goodbye to quality CRTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye to quality CRTs

Sony is down to one model of CRT on their site, and supposedly that will go away soon. The 24" widescreen GDM-FW900 is no longer available, either.

I assume there will soon be no CRT televisions, either. It's a definite step backward, because the other technology is just not up to snuff. LCD is still crap compared to CRT in too many ways.. this is just simply royally ****ed up. Another example of the lowest common denominator and costs beating out quality in this world.

plasma aint that bad i hear.... other than the cost...
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

LCD's aren't that bad.

Dead Pixels are now very rare.
      Fast responses are out there except in the 18" and 19" range.
      Viewing Angles are improving and aren't much of a problem.
      Don't suffer from geometry problems that all modern crts seem to suffer from in the larger sizes.
      Don't flicker therefore less tiring to use.
      Less Bulky.
      Less Power usage.
      Produces less heat.
      Easy to store.

Not ideal for photo editing.
      Limited to one res otherwise look shit.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Color and detail are both crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          Color and detail are both crappy.
          I was just about to say the same. I sure am not about to buy one of those $4000 cr*ppy LCD TVs.

Plasma is nice, only the lifetime is too short.

Projectors are almost capable of displaying a nice picture, in daylight, at a reasonable cost.

LCD is too imperfect yet.

Comment

For computer screens, I'm really dying to see much smaller pixels become standard (and OSes and apps that can cope with that, and cross-platform compatibility for font sizes defined by CSS. Can't be so hard to make 10pt look like 10pt on windows and mac machines alike, can it?)

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

BTW, there are hardware-calibratable (sp?) EIZO LCDs for color-critical work. What do you mean by "detail is crappy"?

AZ

Comment

I'm with KVH here, CRT is still vastly superior to any LCD I've seen. With bright colors, I still like CRT over Plasma, and the price.....wow.
                Another example of the lowest common denominator and costs beating out quality in this world.
                This however is a statement that I do not understand.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I dont know about it being lowest common denominator and costs KV, LCD has always, untill very recently, carried a massive premium above CRT, the manufactureres are just responding to the demand in the market place. People dont want bulky heavy CRT's, they want slim modern looking LCD's, and you cant really argue over the fact that for word processing and general internet browsing LCD's are far nicer to look at than CRT's. As for colour reproduction they are awfull, i have a nearing 6 year old eizo 21" CRT that absolutely puts my new dell 20" LCD to shame in this department. Most people are not concerned about this though, they dont even notice it. Just a case of the manufacturers giving into consumer demand in my opinion. Cant be a bad thing either, less production materials = save planet and keep the greens from complaining at the same time.
                  is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                  Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

This is sad... I recently found out Eizo has no more CRTs either, and now Sony...

I believe NEC still has some nice models (even one that supports AdobeRGB).

Az: Do you mean displays like the IBM T221 ? (9 megapixel resolution on a 22" ) The Parhelia HR256 is the only card that can address this display as a single card (or you need multiple other cards)

I feel that for TVs and the like, LCD might be sufficiant (although at this time, black isn't black, it is darkgray). But for PCs it certainly is a step back...

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yes, I mean displays like that, only without the huge price premium and driving issues, and of course with support from OSes so that everything will still have the same size as it has now on a lower-res screen of the same size (1600x1200 in this case).

AZ

Comment

I agree with borat. Furthermore, CRT is mostly a replacement market, heavy competition, low margins. LCD and Plasma is preceived as an ïmprovement" by enough people who will pay a premium, hence higher margins. This will end in a few years I'd say though.

In fact, had no LCD or Plasma been around, I'd still think SOny might have left the consumer market by now.
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralDragon
                          plasma aint that bad i hear.... other than the cost...
                          Plasma is very bad as a computer monitor. Its ppi is awful.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Shouldnt the thread read, good bye to quality crt's at reasonable prices.

Precision Camera & Video is your go-to camera store in Texas. We have a 40 year tradition of integrity and personal service, and a knowledgable staff that is passionate about photography and education.

etc.

I still like my IIYAMA vision master pro 400.

Their Pro 512 is a dissapointment.

Comment

The lowest common denominator I'm talking about are those who think a flat panel is so cool, and are so tasteless that they don't realize or even care that they are paying much more money for a much poorer quality picture. People are morons.

Comment

Working...
                              X