Longhorn GUI requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longhorn GUI requirements

While they haven't been totally finalised officially, we can sort of see what kind of requirements Longhorn will need to run at full speed.

Ars Technica. Power users and the tools they love, without computing religion. Oh yeah, did we mention we are unassailable computing enthusiasts.

There looks to be 3 levels of sexiness for the new interface - boring 2D, Light 3D and Heavy 3D. Both 3D options need DX9..

transparencies, dramatic window movements, 3D elements in the UI, and various tactics to shift visual focus by accentuating text, window positions, and the like.

So how well will any future Matrox cards support these features - considering that graphic designers such as myself are still quite into Matrox, and that we love our eye-candy... I hope Matrox is quite ambitious with this.

If not, we could always test our patience with the Aston Desktop if it comes out for Longhorn.... nice idea but frustrating to use imho!

After reading previews of the nextgen ATI and NVidia cards I am starting to feel a little bit inadequate in 3D with my trusty P650, a few more horsepower would do very nicely indeed in a year or so.
    Last edited by Whirl-Secret; 7 May 2004, 07:01.

Microsoft says PS2.0 or higher, so none of the 3d accelerated interfaces will work on existing cards.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Ooops i meant any *future* Matrox cards, sorry about that. WIll try to edit it now.

Comment

Working...
      X