Dualhead - Non Matrox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dualhead - Non Matrox

A couple of days ago I recommended an ATI card to my buddy for dualhead support. I don't have any experience with Hydravision, but I figured it would have basic things that I have used with TwinView. He just needed a cheap card for browsing, email, music, some work and pr0n. Anyway, he gets a 9200SE last night.

Today we talk about it and he starts tellig me that he has the desktop stretched and he is not too happy with it. I tell him that he can create seperate desktops and other features. I go over his house tonight to help him out and to my astonishment, Hydravision appears to only support clone, stretch right, stretch down

Am I missing something or is that the jist of it? I mean, it has virtual dekstops, and a few other things but it doesn't appear you can do things like different resolutions on different monitors(it will do this but it spans), multiple start bars, multiple backgrounds,e tc... It seems like it lacks what I would consider basic functionality. Please tell me I missed something stupid because I basically told my buddy to take the card back and go buy a 5200.

FYI - I told him to get a $25 Matrox G400 off eBay but he wanted a DVI connector to connect to his new Viewsonic LCD.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Should get the G400/450/550 and a couple of HD15>DVI-A adapters
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

huh? only stretch? Which OS is this in?

in XP I can only get seperate res. working on my 9700 Pro, no stretch at all.

Comment

He should be able to do what you say. In Win2k, only Matrox will allow different res&depth.
        FT.

Comment

ahh! He is running Win2k, thanks for the info! BTW, in XP, is the different res a Hydravision thing? or an XP thing? or both?

Thanks!
          Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

A few more questions, can I have my start bar on one display only with Hydravision? Can I have it that way with WinXP? Can I have two start bars on each monitor?

Thanks,
            Dave

EDIT: btw, I did go to ATI's page and look at teh FAQ, and it doesn't appear I can do the above, but want to check with people that have used it.

Comment

With XP without Hydravision you get only one start bar. You can have independent refresh and resolution.

Either monitor can display video, though if you span the video across displays it only plays on one of them. You can have a different video player on each display at the same time, though.

Ultramon would enable a 2nd taskbar.
              Last edited by Rob(QG); 7 May 2004, 10:22.

Comment

Working...
              X