Cool...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool...

This has got to be the coolest geek radio ever.

Commerce Cloud Storefront Reference Architecture

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Sweet

That is very cool. I can't wait till the day EVERYTHING is wireless. No clutter, nothing. Think they'll ever have wireless power, ie. no plugs?
    2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
    533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
    64 MB Radeon Mobility
    w/128 MB Video Buffer
    40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
    DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Comment

Re: Sweet

Originally posted by skinrock
      No clutter, nothing. Think they'll ever have wireless power, ie. no plugs?
      Nah I think it was talked about before and the concussion was that you would get killed from the radiation from it.

Never say never though....
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Nicoli Tesla tinkered with the idea several times, though I don't think anyone knows for sure if he ever figured it out.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You can power a lightbulb from across a room, but don't bring a cell phone or computer or anything near that room.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Got around to looking at the linksys solution.

Ick. There's a thousand better ways to do it. To start: http://www.slimp3.com/
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Oh yea, I forgot about Tesla coils and all that, but like you said, never say never. I think we are due for a great invention any time now. Think about it, look at the jump from the 19th century to the 20th century. We haven't seen <i>that</i> great of inventions lately. Even computers, I mean, my notebook is a year old and it's still more powerful than most on the market. Course (and I forget his name), but when the guy that invented the patent system retired, he said that everything that could be invented, had been, maybe he was referring to revolutionary ideas. Just a thought.
              64 MB Radeon Mobility
              w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

If this doesn't look suspiciously like the Yamaha MusicCast Client with its attached speakers, I don't know.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

but when the guy that invented the patent system retired, he said that everything that could be invented, had been, maybe he was referring to revolutionary ideas. Just a thought.
                  Nobody ever said that, it's just an urban myth.

As for powering things remotely, the power has to get there somehow. It's either directed or undirected, both have their issues.

Comment

There's always solar.

(or any other directed EM wave, such as microwave)

- Steve

Comment

The only solutions I see to this are either photovoltaic or thermic (correct term? I mean deducting energy by taking warmth from the environment), along with vastly improved efficiency.

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

So call me pathetic, but I wanted to find proof about that statement, and here's a random site I found, first one of a search engine:

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." Charles H. Duell, 1899 Commissioner of the U.S. Office of Patents.
                        64 MB Radeon Mobility
                        w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

So call me pathetic, but I wanted to find proof about that statement, and here's a random site I found, first one of a search engine:

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." Charles H. Duell, 1899 Commissioner of the U.S. Office of Patents.
                          And he never said it: http://www.questel.orbit.com/Piug/piugl99/0719.html

Comment

Solar has possibilities. Directed is kinda yucky - since you have to have very careful control of the energy path from A->B. There's plenty of communication setups that a human really shouldn't stand in front of.

Az, what do you mean by thermic? If you mean geothermal, fine. But a device can't simply absorb heat from its environment. Well, it can, until it reaches equilibrium with the environment. Once you reach equilibrium though, there's no reason for the energy to flow to the object.

Comment

Well, if you keep the room at the same temperature, and the devices uses the extracted heat (this would imply the devices cools down), it should continue extracting... (one needs to put energy in to keeping the room at the same temperature)

I remember having made a radio receiver that doesn't need a battery: it just uses the energy present in radiowaves. Of course, it didn't have an amplifier, but it amazed me that this worked...

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X