First time databaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time databaser

I would like to create a simple database for my CD and DVD collection, where I can sort the collection by name, date, artist etc. and get some more info about everything by klicking on it ( I know I did not formulate that very well, but basically thats all I want).

I thought that maybe a standard web editor (open office) might be enough, but I just wanted to get some opinions on how to do this the simplest and most efficient way, using only freeware?

I could maybe make you a program that takes in a text file of your collection and displays it nicely if you want. I don't know what you're really trying to get at but, for example, if you made a text file with this format...
    Name, Date, Artist
    Name, Date, Artist
    I could make it access the file and sort it in a list box or something with "klickability".
    2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
    533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
    64 MB Radeon Mobility
    w/128 MB Video Buffer
    40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
    DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Comment

You could use a database...or you could use something that indexes your collection for you and creates playlists. That way you can listen to the mp3 versions when you look things up!
      FT.

Comment

I already wrote my own prog that creates mp3 playlists, quite simple actually. Fat Tone is on the same track I am, but are you [Topha] talking about actual files or just names to represent your physical CD and DVD collection?
        64 MB Radeon Mobility
        w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

I did this a long time ago on my Mac using FoxPro.. made a really nice looking database fairly simply. I have no idea what to use today, though.

Comment

Honestly, I think the simplest way would be to make a small prog in VB, create a notepad list of all your items, and you can store them in an array in VB, then use a listbox to display them, and if they were actual files, you could use a click command to add that arrays "filename" to an mp3 list, which is basically another notepad file saved as m3u. That's kinda what I already did before for myself.
            64 MB Radeon Mobility
            w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

What extra information are you thinking of?

I don't use iTunes, but it does almost everything you're asking for.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I know there are some shareware (maybe even freeware) database programs to organize your CD collection. You might want to have a look at tucows, etc.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

DVD Pofiler is excellent for DVD's. I don't think it can do CD's though.

What database /development software do you have available?
                  e.g. Paradox, Access, Foxpro, OpenOffice, DBase, VB, VC, Delphi, JBuilder, C++ Builder, etc.

I suspect that you can do what you want with OpenOffice, but it will probably be pretty hard unless you have an actual database app (like MySQL)

Let us know what you have available, and it'll be easier to point you in a resonable dirction.

- Steve

Comment

Sorry for not replying to all you answers, been busy the last few days.

I only have openoffice at the moment, but enough bandwith to use any freeware program that might be out there

Comment

Have a look at this list.

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                      X