Device can't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Device can't start

Well, Windows 2003 Server was kind enough to show me an updated driver for the LAN cards in my server...after it downloaded, it completely crashed the computer. Upon rebooting, both NICs are giving me Error 10: Device cannot start...now, I've had that before with PCI LAN cards and solved it by just shuffling them around in their slots, but I can't do that here since both are integrated chips...any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Of course, I've tried reinstalling the drivers, using different ones, no go...
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

try to go in safe mode and manually remove the NICs from the device manager.

uninstall all the drivers and try to start over.

Don't know how win2k3 will react (it doesn't like not being connected),you might have messed up your network configuration too so you should defintely check up on that too (DNS, DHCP, AD, etc).

Comment

I've done the Safe Mode thing already, still to no effect. It of course keeps telling me at bootup that all the net services have failed...I'm at my wit's end with this thing, I'll just have to reinstall every damn thing if I can't get it to work

Comment

You are re-installing the old driver aren't you and not loading up the newer driver again???
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Of course, I've tried mainly with the CD-provided drivers as well as with some MicroCrap ones from within Windows...same results with both. This really ticks me off, as the whole WHQL business was supposed to prevent shit like this from happening...

Comment

how about searching for all inf files with the name of the card then remove them. The device should then be detected as an unknown device.
            Also you could also search for files that loaded by the drivers and rename those as one of these may be a newer one.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Um, I'm seriously running out of ideas here-I formatted and reinstalled 2003 Server and was greeted with the SAME problem!! I formatted again and installed Win2000 Server thinking that since for it I have to install drivers manually anyway (2003 has drivers for them in its dbase), it will work...I installed the drivers off the CD (same ones that have worked just fine with several installs of Windows on the same damn server) and still the same error!

I'm thinking that when the driver install process from Windows Update crashed the server, it somehow, I dunno, changed a setting on the NICs' BIOS or ROM or some shit like that, a setting that has since remained the same, irrespective of different Windows installs.

SO...any ideas?! Of course, I could just pop over to the store and buy a PCI NIC, but to have two integrated NICs and not be able to use them is just plain stupid. Plus, I'd rather spend that money on beer

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                Um, I'm seriously running out of ideas here-I formatted and reinstalled 2003 Server and was greeted with the SAME problem!! I formatted again and installed Win2000 Server thinking that since for it I have to install drivers manually anyway (2003 has drivers for them in its dbase), it will work...I installed the drivers off the CD (same ones that have worked just fine with several installs of Windows on the same damn server) and still the same error!

I'm thinking that when the driver install process from Windows Update crashed the server, it somehow, I dunno, changed a setting on the NICs' BIOS or ROM or some shit like that, a setting that has since remained the same, irrespective of different Windows installs.

SO...any ideas?! Of course, I could just pop over to the store and buy a PCI NIC, but to have two integrated NICs and not be able to use them is just plain stupid. Plus, I'd rather spend that money on beer

Oh, and I also tried reverting the mobo's BIOS to default, disabling the NICs one by one or both...still no go.

Comment

Well if it's fubarred after a clean install looks like the onboard has gone west.
                  One last thing clear the cmos completly.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, I don't know how he did it, but my friend just managed to get the cards recognized by installing the same damn drivers that had been bustin' my balls all day...I guess that computer just hates me or smthn

Comment

Yes, i know the feeling. Only the opposite one. People call me all the time to check their computers because they`ve been acting weird or crashing or something. Only when i get there, the computers work in perfect order and they cant replicate the problem... They must be afraid of me
                      Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

IMO never install any MS driver updates on any third party pieces of hardware as you usually end up in grief.

Comment

Yeah, 'tis the last time I'll try that...

Hehe, I'm now 60% a Super Murcer

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
                            IMO never install any MS driver updates on any third party pieces of hardware as you usually end up in grief.
                            Yup, I never use Windows Update to install drivers on my machine. However I was installing a new machine for my GF, which has a GF MX220 in it, and thought, that's a pretty simple card, what harm could there be?

Well, blue screen on boot-up... that's what harm there could be! Once I installed the latest detonator drivers, all was well in the world again.
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                            X