X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive recomendations? WD2000JB?

I was just about to order a WD2000JB and I saw this:

What recomendations are out there.
    Keep in mind that my last big HD purchase was two 45gig IBMs that have had to be replaced twice each
    I would like to not make that mistake again.

On the otherhand the JBs sure sound good. Except for the noise, which I don't care much about.
    No pun intended

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Seagate Barracuda.

Comment

Seagate Baracuda if you want a good quality drive in a quiet package.

Samsung if you want an alternative to Seagate, but with potentially less quality (I've heard both good and bad about their newest stuff).

Western Digital for speed and quality.

Maxtor for price.

Hitachi if you want the newest and best and don't mind the gamble.

That's the world of hard drives in a nutshell.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Where are some good places for review?
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

StorageReview.com is a world leading independent storage authority. While storage reviews is in the name, we look at the entire IT stack.
          Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

You can currently get a 160GB Barracuda for $100.

Not as good a deal as the 200GB I got, but it's not bad.
            Last edited by Wombat; 3 May 2004, 14:55.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Samsung = yuck.

Crap monitors, crap TVs, crap CDRW & DVD drives, and from what I've seen it extends to their hard drives.

Comment

This is one area where i don't even look at speed. I don't really care if drive A is 2% faster than drive B if drive A starts making clunky sounds, dies, and takes all my data with it. I get Seagate because, on balance, they are the most reliable of the lot.

Comment

Actually I have had good experiences with Samsung monitors...

and the folks at http://www.silentpcreview.com have lots of good things to say about the Samsung SpinPoint HDDs - ie they are nice and quiet (similar levels to Barracuda IVs if all is to be believed...) and with 3 year warranties as well.

Having said all that, not really had many problems with Maxtors myself, although I'm hardly in the "performance at any price" segment...
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I'm using a lot of Samsung SpinPoint HDDs at work, and although they aren't speed champions, they are very, very quiet and reliable...

Comment

I've been running a WD1200JD (120Gig SATA) for about 5 months now and love it. It's fast, quiet, and reliable. I can't speak from experience about the JB's though (IDE).

Disclaimer: Since I work for WD, my opinions may appear to be biased. While I believe that for the current generation of drives, WD has the highest quality drive, Seagate is also very good. I would stay away from IBM/Hitachi and Maxtor at present time.
                      My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                        Samsung = yuck.

Crap monitors, crap TVs, crap CDRW & DVD drives, and from what I've seen it extends to their hard drives.
                        Couldn't have put it better myself. I feel exactly the same way about Samsung brand products, but they have obviously convinced many people to believe differently.

Getting back on topic, I LOVE my Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB, I have some larger WD drives in my SageTV PVR box and added a 160GB SATA to go with my Seagate in my workstation. They haven't failed me yet. I have had excellent luck with Maxtor's but i did lose recently but probably because of the environment. Had it in a tigh place with not very good cooling. I had a couple of 17GB Maxtors running RAID0 on an old Fasttrak for 4 years, they are retired cause of thier size but still in working condition. You don't have to worry about getting a Fujitsu MPG series with MASSIVE failure rates, yet they had a good run until the late MPF and MPG series. No experience with Samsung drives since seeing plenty of their early drives self-destruct on the bench. I've had no confidence in their products ever since.

Find the right deal on the size you need and take care of it. Make sure it stays cool, and treat it very gently. I sure like the way Seagate builds their enclosures, but I still think they run slightly hotter because of the packaging. Not an issue with a fan in the right place.

Pray you don't get a Lemon, like the IBM Deathstars.
                        Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

I have an old Samsung HD that's been running 24/7 since '96

Can't comment about anything resembling lately tho.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Well, I went back to my roots: Seagate ST3200822A (200GB Barracuda 7200.7 Plus)

< $140 from NewEgg

My first HD was a 10MB Seagate.

There seemed to be quite a bit of rumbling on the net about the big WD JBs and I've had my fill of that.

I thought most manufacturers had dropped to a 1 year warranty, but they seem to be mostly back to 3 years.

Thanks for the advice all.
                            Chuck
                            Last edited by cjolley; 4 May 2004, 08:19.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Sorry Beezer but I don't let WD drives near my machines or those I set up for anyone. Nothing but problems there. Still haven't had a NMaxtor fail on me. Diamondmax 120 GB still going well at the mo. My cousin's WD 40 GB just died a horrible death (there was a burning smell as it died) taking his mobo with it.
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X