D70 - EOS300 comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D70 - EOS300 comparison

Is there a good comparison between those 2 cameras somewhere on the web? A quick google search didnt turn up any results for me, so I thought I might just ask here.

D70, hands down.

The 300D is artificially crippled.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yep.

Just check both reviews over on http://www.dpreview.com
      (and in the buyers guide - to the left - there is the possiblity for a side-by-side feature comparison)
      (but the menu doesn't work properly on Opera )

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Just take both of them in your hands and decide for yourself

AZ

Comment

Are there any comparable products on the horizon?

Comment

For a competitive price, no. But at Photokina, Konica-Minolta will release their Dynax 7D, which will feature image stabilization for ALL lenses, Minolta's great flash system (up to 4 wirelessly controlled flashes with ADI metering), compatibility with their AF lenses, and another, as of yet undisclosed "surprise" feature.

That camera will likely cost a little more that 1000 $, though (I'd guess around 1400 $ list price), as its base, the Dynax 7 film SLR, costs ~700 EUR already.

AZ

Comment

I'm not sure where Olympus or Pentax *D fit in pricewise...

BTW, Nikon now has CLS (Creative Lighting System), which allows for 3 groups of wirelessly controlled flashes, and offers sublime possibilities (only D2h and D70 currently have this; only flash units supported are the SB800 and SB600)...

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

The Oly E1 is too expensive for what it offers (even after the recent price cuts), lenses are more expensive, and it isn't really a whole lot smaller than 35mm-derived SLRs.

The *ist D is loved by many of its owners, is stylish and small, I just don't know about lenses and acessories.

AZ

Comment

How about Eos 10D? worth the extra money compared to the D70?

Comment

Feature-wise I wouldn't know, keep in mind the cost for lenses (The D70s kit lens is quite adequate, I hear). But the most important thing is really ergonomics, so there's no substitute for trying them both out.

AZ

Comment

the kit lens is fine, distortion is only noticeable at the real wide end.

mfg
                      wulfman
                      Last edited by Wulfman; 3 May 2004, 13:09.
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Yep, the D70 kitlens gets much better comments than the 300D kitlens (of course, there is a noticable price difference between them).

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Olympus E1 is extremely good camera, though very expensive one. the picture sharpness is by far in own class. (most likely because own proprietary lenses that are built for 4:3 panel.) Of course this is also minus, because at least right now Olympus is only one making the lenses. 5 MPixels does not sound very impressive, but Olympus has been always more Quality over quantity.

(like what you do with 7 MPixels, if you have fingernail sized optics that are even dimensioned like hell... (as it seems in case of Samsung cameras. so far I haven't found any Samsung that would focus exactly correctly.))

Still, if we are talking about cameras in 300D price range, E1 is definately out. (at least here it has price of 2 x 300D price)
                          "Dippadai"

Comment

You may want to wait a while. There are rumors that the *ist D will get a substantial price cut in the next few weeks (Canon will likely adjust 10D and 300D prices in reaction), and the Minolta DSLR may come in summer already, for 799$! (though I don't quite believe the latter one: It's too early and too cheap without any need for that, especially considering the technological edge Minolta will have with AS.)

There will be a lower-end (mostly in terms of build quality) 4/3 body from Olympus at the end of the year, and most likely a Dynax 9 D and Dynax 5D (one more expensive, one cheaper than the D7D) from Minolta next year. Nothing new is expected from Nikon, and a 3D or so from Canon, featuring 8 MP (not the noisy Sony 2/3 sensor the current 8 mp cams have).

AZ

Comment

Working...
                            X