ISO Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO Compression

Is there any program that really compress ISO files? The images are of a DVD, so they are 4.76 gigs in size. I was just wondering if there is some kind of compression method that would significantly reduce them, maybe under 4 gigs.
    2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
    533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
    64 MB Radeon Mobility
    w/128 MB Video Buffer
    40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
    DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

ISOs are images, they could contain anything. If it's a video DVD, use video compression on the files.

Otherwise, try RAR or something.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes, I know they are images, like I said they are images of a DVD, a DVD movie to be exact. The files on my external harddrive are single .iso files. I use another program that creates a "virtual" cd/dvd drive on your computer so you can put these ISO files into the drive, as if you put a DVD into a DVD drive, and it unpacks the file and you are left with what looks like an actual DVD, with a Video_TS folder containing all the vob files and ifo files. I guess you would consider them video files, they aren't mpegs or anything like that, they are actual dvd files. Are there any good video compression programs for this? Or do you know of any good free DVD to mpeg2 ripper? (I'm not pirating, by the way).
      64 MB Radeon Mobility
      w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

DVD = MPEG2.
        VOB is merely the container format that contains the MPEG2 streams.

If you use google, you'll come across plenty of programs to read VOB files, like DVD2AVI.

Comment

Are there any good video compression programs for this? Or do you know of any good free DVD to mpeg2 ripper? (I'm not pirating, by the way).
          Well - if thats the case and the person that has created the DVD used mpeg audio in the authoring stage, you can just grab the vobs in the video ts folder, rename them with a mpg extension, and Bobs your uncle - mpeg files to use at your leisure.

If you can lay your hands on the vobs - check this out for DivX compression
          Last edited by LvR; 1 May 2004, 05:50.
          Lawrence

Comment

So it's a movie. Others have pointed out a number of ripping tools.

Other things to get the file size down:

* Remove DVD "extras"
            * Remove alternate language tracks
            * Compress the audio from full-quality down to a reasonable MP3.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yea

I'm still trying to figure it out. I got it down to a 2 gig AVI file, but I can't remember how I did it . I didn't have sound though. All I'm looking to do is take the movie, like you said wom, get rid of the extras, and play it through whatever will play it, be windows media, divx, windvd, whatever will decode it, and hopefully end up with a file under 3 gigs, at least under 4. I have a program that rips as an avi, it was 15 gigs in size, and like i said i somehow super compressed it, but no players could decode it, and if they could, there was no sound. If you know of any program that either rips as a small avi file, or compresses significantly, i would be much obliged to hear about it, thanks!
              64 MB Radeon Mobility
              w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

looked at dvd shrink?

Comment

No, but thanks, I downloaded that, seems pretty good. I got one from 7.5 gigs down to about 2 gigs. I'm still compressing as we speak, so I can't fully evaluate the program. As long as I have DVD like functionality, with captions, it looks like this program will do, thanks again.
                  64 MB Radeon Mobility
                  w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

Seeems pretty simple then ....................

What is it you want to do with the final "product" then?

I take it you never tried my recipy?....................
                    Last edited by LvR; 1 May 2004, 15:24.
                    Lawrence

Comment

I just want it on my hard drive so I can watch it when I go on trips, so I don't have to take anything but my notebook. I basically wanted a ripper that saved the files either has a nicely compressed iso file, or a small avi or mpeg2 file. I was doing the max DVD size, 4.36, which was fine, but it added up quickly. That's when I thought if I could knock a gig or two off per movie, i would save a couple dozen gigs. This shrink DVD seems to work well, I usually end up with a 1.5-3 gig iso file, which I use this virtual clone drive program to read from. Again, I was just looking for the smallest way to rip a dvd, either in iso format, or nicely compatible avi/divx/mpeg2 format. I say compatible because I came across one program that wasn't compressing the audio stream.
                      Last edited by skinrock; 1 May 2004, 16:57.
                      64 MB Radeon Mobility
                      w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

Originally posted by skinrock
                        I just want it on my hard drive so I can watch it when I go on trips, so I don't have to take anything but my notebook. I basically wanted a ripper that saved the files either has a nicely compressed iso file, or a small avi or mpeg2 file. I was doing the max DVD size, 4.36, which was fine, but it added up quickly. That's when I thought if I could knock a gig or two off per movie, i would save a couple dozen gigs. This shrink DVD seems to work well, I usually end up with a 1.5-3 gig iso file, which I use this virtual clone drive program to read from. Again, I was just looking for the smallest way to rip a dvd, either in iso format, or nicely compatible avi/divx/mpeg2 format. I say compatible because I came across one program that wasn't compressing the audio stream.
                        look around doom9.org. It documents the processes you need to use to convert DVD content into xvid/divx .AVI content. You will need to convert the video to xvid and you can convert the audio to mp3.

For MP3 encoding, I strongly suggest you install the lame acm mp3 codec, and use that in place of whatever doom9 suggests.

It takes a few hours to do for each movie, but you will be able to knock your movies to about 1.5gig each. (I am assuming you want good quality rips)
                        80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Thank you, I was looking at that site, but now that you mentioned it, too, I will take a deeper look at it. I always use lame for mp3 encoding, but I didn't know how you encode each stream seperately, but I will look around on that site and hopefully figure it out.
                          64 MB Radeon Mobility
                          w/128 MB Video Buffer

Comment

Originally posted by skinrock
                            Thank you, I was looking at that site, but now that you mentioned it, too, I will take a deeper look at it. I always use lame for mp3 encoding, but I didn't know how you encode each stream seperately, but I will look around on that site and hopefully figure it out.
                            You ussually just choose the language you need and not bother with the rest of them.

For lame, there is not only a command line version of lame, but a ACM codec that interfaces with windows in the same way as other audio codecs, which lets you use it in programs like virtualdub.
                            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Converting to DivX/XviD takes more time than using DVD Shrink. I'd recommend AutoGK (Auto Gordian Knot), it is very easy to use and gives good quality.
                              There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
                              X