Windows XP and refresh rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP and refresh rates

Without using a utility like RefreshForce, can WinXP handle different refresh rates at different resolutions?

The reason I ask is, my brother just bought City of Heros, and the game refused to run at 1024x768, it'd only run at 1280x960 or higher! Turned out the problem was that the game won't switch to a resolution that doesn't at least offer a 60 Hz refresh rate, even if the drivers actually end up using a higher rate, via the "Refresh Rate Override" option when set to use the desktop frequency.

I restored the original settings with RefreshForce, but now when I set the desktop refresh rate it doesn't seem to keep track of the resolutions independantly; If I set it to 75 Hz while at 1024x768 and go to 800x600 it'll still be at 75 Hz. If I set it to 85 Hz and return to 1024x768 it again stays at 85 Hz. If try 1280x960 or higher it drops to 60 Hz as it should, and when I return to a lower resolution it stays at 60 Hz. I've used RefreshForce for so long I can't remember if that's "normal" for XP or not.
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 29 April 2004, 22:45.

Isn't that option right in your advance display properties? I go to "Display...Settings...Advance...Adapter tab. There is a button that says "List All Modes". I know's there's other ways, too, but thats pretty quick right there. Anyways, I have more refresh rates and resolutions that I know what to do with. Namely anywhere from 1024x768 (60-200Hz) to 1600x1200 (60-200Hz). I don't know if this is the same thing you're talking about (seems like it).
    2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
    533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
    64 MB Radeon Mobility
    w/128 MB Video Buffer
    40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
    DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Comment

What I mean is WinXP doesn't seem to be acting like Windows 98, which remembers the refresh rate you set for each resolution individually. XP appears to be using a single refresh rate setting applied to all resolutions.

Having to open up the advanced menu, then the adaptor tab, then fish though the different color and refresh rate combos in the "list all modes" window every time I want to change my desktop resolution is not what I would call a straight foward solution.

Oh, this is an ATI card, an Radeon 8500. With my old G400 I could use PowerDesk to configure seperate refresh rates, and I believe nVidia's drivers also have that capability, but not ATI's.
      Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 29 April 2004, 23:03.

Comment

Soon as I read this I thought ATI card. Are you using dual monitor or not ????
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Nope, just one monitor.

Comment

I suggest going to ther res you want to play at on the desktop and then select and appriate refresh rate then start the game at that rez.

That usualy works for me for opengl games that don't support the dx overide refresh rate.

Comment

I just discovered that it's just the normal WinXP refresh rate thing, so that problem's solved.

The game wanting to verify 60 Hz is it's own problem, and one that I don't really give a damn about (I don't like the game. ) It uses OpenGL, but I've never seen another modern OpenGL game actually require that low refresh rates be available to even use a resolution.

Comment

Working...
              X