Logitech® diNovo™ Media Desktop™

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech® diNovoâ„¢ Media Desktopâ„¢

Is anybody familiar with the Logitech® diNovo™ Media Desktop™. I'm considering getting this setup for my new HTPC. Is the mouse up to snuff for fast FPS gaming? Any glitches or performance problems? Is the mouse movement precise? I'll be using it on a HDTV, ~61" WS at 1280x720 or hopefully 1920x1080.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

I suggest buying something cheaper and sending the savings to me

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I have the MX700. Its by far the best mouse I have ever used... Battery life is amazing
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I also love my mx700, its fast enough for games (no difference to cable mouse as far as I am concerned), and if i had the money (and the extra livingroom for a HTPC ) I would get the diNovo for sure

Comment

I had a chance to try a diNovo keyboard briefly recentley, and I can say that it had the nicest action of any keyboard I've used in years -maybe ever. If it hadn't cost so much, I would have forgone my preference for curvy keyboards & bought it then and there
          MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

I'm also planning on buying it...
            The remote control looks very interesting (my PC is close to TV, I currently use it for DVD playback, but intend to add recording facilities) as does the bluetooth (but I don't have any other bluetooth devices yet)...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I bought the diNovo keyboard recently...

It's well worth the money, although I don't play FPS games so can't help with the original question. The remote control / media pad is okay but would be far better if you could navigate the MP3's on your system from the display on the pad itself as opposed to it launching a full screen app on the PC. I'm sure this is possible and may yet happen.

Regards,

John.

Comment

I tried it briefly and didn't like it at all - I hate notebook keyboards.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hi:
                  I use the diNovo desktop and like it.
                  No gaming nor any other performance issues here.
                  I had been using the Logitech Cordless MX Duo (MX700 Mouse/Elite Keyboard).
                  I like to game with my keyboard, mouse, and/or joystick and pad in my lap on one of those small, cork-faced bulletin boards.
                  The smaller keyboard footprint works for me.
                  Solidly built but expensive.

Happy trails,
                  WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
                  1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

Thanks for all the posts. I'll try and stop at a shop tomorrow and look at this system. Your comments are very incouraging. I had only read one bad review which primarily complained about the acquisition time. I later realized that a Bluetooth setup might cause me problems in not being able to use my universal remotes to send keyboard macros. I would have to use the keyboard in addition to my remote.

Originally posted by bERNIE
                    ... The remote control / media pad is okay but would be far better if you could navigate the MP3's on your system from the display on the pad itself as opposed to it launching a full screen app on the PC. I'm sure this is possible and may yet happen. ...
                    The site implies that you can do just that. Hopefully they support the product with timely updates. How frequent are the SW updates?

What other Bluetooth devices do we have in the U.S.? Are there storage devices? Card readers?
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Bluetooth isn't meant for storage. It's first purpose is low-power communication.
                      Cell phones, PDAs, printers, wireless input stuff.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I think of Bluetooth as Wireless USB.

It works in the 2.4GHz band, dunno why its 2.4, but i'd think if that's true (correct me if I am wrong) it will cause interference with WiFi --> 802.11B/G

Why is everything 2.4GHz? lol

And I don't understand why people want WiFi for PDA. Sure, it connects to printers and such, but woulddn't WiFi be a much more clever choice? You can still do Hot Sync through WiFi, and connect to the net just like desktops/labtops.

And you can connect to HotSpots. I personally think if you need Internet for PDA, WiFi is a much better choice than going Bluetooth and connect to ur GSM phone and to the internet :?

Anyways, back to bluetooth for keyboard. I guess bluetooth keyboards/mice does make sense though...

Comment

Design seems kinda funky, but that's my opinion. I use the Logitech Elite keyboard and MX500 mouse. I bought them for my PS2, but I use them for my notebook as well, both are incredibly great. The mouse has great precision, great contour, well placed side thumb buttons, and a nifty application switching button. The keyboard is just as great, has more hotkeys than I know what to do with (not a bad thing). Nice elevation of the keys, enough to give you a nice feel over the keyboard. Many media and user controls as well, volume scroller, media playback controls, sleep function, email, internet. Great design, too, nice mixture of black and gray tones. If you definitely need wireless, then this isn't the way to go, but seeing as I've had problems with wireless interference, I decided to stay wired for just a little bit longer, and I don't regret it at all.
                          2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
                          533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
                          64 MB Radeon Mobility
                          w/128 MB Video Buffer
                          40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
                          DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                            It has to do with licenses: over here, the 2.4 GHz band is the only one you don't need a broadcast license for...

And you can connect to HotSpots. I personally think if you need Internet for PDA, WiFi is a much better choice than going Bluetooth and connect to ur GSM phone and to the internet :?
                            It is a different use. You would have a point if there were GSM with wifi (now that would be interesting: connect a phone to a PDA/computer via Wifi ).
                            I sometimes use a Psion 5mx in combination with a Siemens S35i (irda connection between them) to connect to the internet. As a result, I'm not dependant on the existance of hotspots: I can connect anywhere. Perhaps in a couple of years time, when hotspots become more common (and when it is less of a hassle regarding payments: e.g. one GSM operator here also offers some hotspots) it will be more interesting, but for now...

Anyways, back to bluetooth for keyboard. I guess bluetooth keyboards/mice does make sense though...
                            The great part about the DiNuvo is that it acts as a bluetooth hub: you can use this keyboard to connect to you GSM!

Jörg
                            pixar
                            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                              I think of Bluetooth as Wireless USB.
                              Which is a mistake. Wireless USB is wireless USB. Bluetooth does a couple hundred kB/sec over a short range, with low power.

It works in the 2.4GHz band, dunno why its 2.4, but i'd think if that's true (correct me if I am wrong) it will cause interference with WiFi --> 802.11B/G

Because it's the part of the spectrum that the FCC has left unregulated. You need a license to broadcast in most other frequencies.

And I don't understand why people want WiFi for PDA. Sure, it connects to printers and such, but woulddn't WiFi be a much more clever choice? You can still do Hot Sync through WiFi, and connect to the net just like desktops/labtops.
                              People want bluetooth because it's MUCH lower power.

Wireless USB: 300mW to start, shooting for 100mW

802.11b : Looks like ~100mW, give or take 20

Bluetooth: Currently in the <B>1 to 2.5mW</B> range.

See above.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X