Anyone listens to cassette tapes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone listens to cassette tapes...

My family was downstairs in the basement and I was going throught some of the boxes I have piled up in the corner. In one box were all the cassettes my wife accumulated through her teenage years and in another box was mine. She had about 200 tapes with most of them pre-recorded while I had about 100. Mine were all homemade from my albums (and friend's). We played some of the good ones on the stereo but they all sounded pretty bad. Loss of highs, terrible hissing and other noises not too bad considereing that they haven't been played in like 10 years. But it was pretty funny going through the tapes, and how some songs really represents certain moments that happen in your life or how much of a song reminds you of special people, things, places.

Oh well it was fun going down that old path and wondering again. I'll stop talking now and have a glass of Balvenie double wood scotch.

So now what do I do with all these f******* tapes

Anybody else can beat my 300+ tapes??

Digitize, baby.. cram all those tapes onto a memory card of some sort or a dvd.

Comment

pour a shot of scotch on em and light them up.
      I've got almost that many albums (cassettes tapes were a terrible medium - they only ever sounded god for a few plays, and the pre-recorded stuff were really bad), but at least with albums the sound didn't deteriorate so quickly.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

the lack of highes is normally attributed to head alignment, once that's tweaked Dolby circuitry would function much better (sometime not)... anywho I'd do as KvH says. A good cleaning with 98% alcohol
        and then align... here's one such tape for $15

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

or if you know somebody with a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck... they autoalign in real time
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Any of the better Nakamichis of old had azimuth alignment. I even have an old car deck with the feature. Haven't used cassettes in a long time though.

Comment

Can't beat your 300+ tapes, but I bet my 600+ LP's sound better... just a little harder to play in the vehicle.
              Throw a cassette in the microwave on high for 20 seconds with the lights out and a fire extinguisher in hand, great fun whatching them burst into flames. Good chance you might get some 'highs' out of them that way to.
              Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

i actually found a tape recently and it was a pain trying to actually find a working cassette tape player in the house. but it turned out to be from when i was hanging out with my sisters a long time ago and we used to record our favorite songs off the radio and then cruise around in the car listening to prerecorded radio. silly shit. songs on there like. push it by salt and pepa. and i want to sex you up by bel biv devoe. things i shouldnt have been listening to at that age!
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Digitize Eh!!
                  There are some great ( okay I reaching there ) songs on these tapes that I could listen to again. But how can I improve the sound from these tapes. That Nakamichie dragon deck was like $1000 US when they came out in the late 80's. I didn't even spend that kind of money on my stereo. I perferred to spend most of my money on albums, which I have about 130. ( so you got me on that one dirtfarmer ).
                  Any suggestions, I'm willing to try.
                  Sorry Lizzie it must be a teenage girl thing in taste of music. My wife's old stuff was Samatha Fox and like. While my tastes ( and my buddies) were Zep, The Who and Jimmy H.
                  LOL

Comment

Make a list of the songs you liked, then either download them or buy the CDs.
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Would be a sweet smack in the RIAA face when you showed up for court after being charged with music theft with tapes in hand

Comment

Ha Ha Ha..
                        Remember when you'd bitch when a new album came out and the price was $13 (CDN for me). I usually waited a little while until they went on sale for under $10. That's why with my three buddies we'd take turns buying albums, then tape them, so we can listen to them on our blasters and cars. It was too expensive back then . Then when cd's came out the inital price was $25 (again CDN) and they said that over time, cds would be selling for $10. HA It still hasn't happened. New cds are priced around $16->$20 .
                        Anyways don't know what my point is but I just had to get that thought off.

Also was it a big deal back then about taping? As it is now? We never thought that it was wrong.

Also was it really true or was it BS (untrue) about albums when played backwards had messages on them?

Comment

Originally posted by RhinoZ
                          That Nakamichie dragon deck was like $1000 US when they came out in the late 80's. I didn't even spend that kind of money on my stereo.
                          You are a wee bit off there.. it was $2199.00.

Comment

I almost bought one myself in 89 for $1100, new in box with warranty

Comment

Originally posted by DirtFarmer
                              Can't beat your 300+ tapes, but I bet my 600+ LP's sound better... just a little harder to play in the vehicle.
                              600 LPs try 2,000+

any way.. i have stoped useing Tapes a long time ago...

i refuse to alow anyone to bring in anything recorded on a tape for any kind of audio work..... i just hate tapes..... prefer LPs... CDs... DATs... and even MDs (sadly my MD player is out of comision)
                              "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Working...
                              X