Which IBM chipset MB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which IBM chipset MB?

I need recommendations for an IBM chipset MB with the latest tech. The PC will be an HTPC so relative quite and coolness are a factor. I'll probably go with ATAPI this time (always had SCSI systems) since I'll want to store large amounts of video and would rather have the less expensive non-SCSI HDDs. I may or may not use RAID (might just for the mirroring). FireWire on board looks attractive as well as GBE and USB 2.0. Don't think I'll use on-board audio or video. This will also land up being a gaming machine to output to a 60+" HDTV. The main app will be OTA DTV tuning and record (MyHD card) as well as recording direct video through the tuner/scaler card. I've narrowed the choice to a few favorites but I haven't really spent any time figuring out the current state of tech on modern MBs (still run on old P2B-S): Asus P4C800-E Deluxe or Intel D875PBZ or D865PERL. Any suggestions?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

You mean Intel, not IBM chipset then I gather ...
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I've got a PC800-E DEluxe well two of them. Make sure you get a decent power supply though.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

One of those, with a powerful nice quiet psu and case e.g. Antec Sonata case. and a Zalman 7000 cooler. passive cooled graphics card.

That's what i'm saving for anyway.

Comment

Yep ... Intel. That's the second time I flubbed that today.

I'm planning on using a special edition Silverstone LaScala DC03 case. Its a special version of the LC03 that's made exclusively for DC. The 120mm fan on the 400w Silverstone PS is only 26dB. Here's a photo walk-through of building up a HTPC with their older case, the LC01. Check out the design of the PS.

PIT ... did you think the ASUS was better than the Intel MBs?
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well with Asus you can overclock. Intel weren't all that friendly in that period.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
            X