Sometimes it's worth complaining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it's worth complaining

Blimey I got our council to do something.

The manhole cover outside our house over a year has worked lose. Every car/van/lorry that goes over it produces a very loud double clunk.

Sadly since the council cocked up the road improvements on the main road out Sheffield south near us most drivers now use it as by pass. So at rush hour it's a constant flow of traffic. So it's clunk clunk clunk. Try sleeping with it. Luckily the traffic during the week drops off at 10.30 ish sadly at the weekend it's 12.30 to 1am. Guess who didn't get much sleep Friday and Saturday.

Well I've been emailing the council after digging out the well hidden contact address from their wedsite.

Got home to day and they fixed one side. Sadly the otherside of the road is also in the process of breaking up and they've missed that. Happily only 1 car in 10 produces a clunk rather than 99/100. I can live with that for now.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

It is in some (all?) councils policy to fix potholes/poor surfaces once they have been reported by the public, they are legally accountable once this has happened.
    I know in coventry if you report a pot hole it is usually filled within a week. (usually with putty that immediately starts to break up)

Breezer
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Arond here they say "Your road is #5 on our priority list. We only have enough money to work on the top 3 this year." But they say that every year.
      --Insert something here--

Comment

Originally posted by breezer
        It is in some (all?) councils policy to fix potholes/poor surfaces once they have been reported by the public, they are legally accountable once this has happened.
        I know in coventry if you report a pot hole it is usually filled within a week. (usually with putty that immediately starts to break up)

Breezer
        Maybe but people don't complain. Like you say though the way it's been fixed won't last for long.

The state of roads can't really all be blamed on the councils. The person whos fault it really is is Margaret Thatcher. Forcing councils to go private companies brought in the cowboys. Whether they inspect the work afterwards and a month afterwards is another matter. In Sheffield we had a brilliant Bus service run by the council. No one needed to use the car as the bus service was regular, cheaper than going by car and reliable. The roads were empty apart from buses less traffic less wear and tear.
        You can blame the council for not unblocking drains which of course causes lots of damage though.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

do what someone back home did, they took flourescent paint and circled every pothole the town said wasnt there. The road was hot patched in a matter of a few days when everyone saw the carnage.
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Well it's working lose already.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

About 10-15 years ago, we had a guy who planted trees in some of the more dangerous potholes.
              He did this after an ambulance broke an axle on the way to an emergency.

He was nicknamed "The Pothole Bandit". It still took like 6 months before the holes were filled in.

- Steve

Comment

Well the saga continues.

The 1st repair lasted two days. They repaired it again this Tuesday and it's failed already.

At least I got two nights good sleep last week. I was surprised what a differance the absent clunk made. Had too use ear plugs last night.

It might help it dug out all the old broken tarmac. Put in some proper new stuff and then made sure vehicles drove round it until the new tarmac set. They don't seem to realise that.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos
                  About 10-15 years ago, we had a guy who planted trees in some of the more dangerous potholes.
                  He did this after an ambulance broke an axle on the way to an emergency.

He was nicknamed "The Pothole Bandit". It still took like 6 months before the holes were filled in.

- Steve
                  Excellent idea.. perhaps worth a try
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

If I did that someone drive into it.
                    Much better if I could persuade the cover to fall into the hole and then it would look like the councils fault.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It's not the council, you're just becoming grumpy.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                        If I did that someone drive into it.
                        Much better if I could persuade the cover to fall into the hole and then it would look like the councils fault.
                        Too bad they're round

- Steve

Comment

Record it on a tape. find where your local council member lives, and go and play it next to his/her bedroom window at 3am in the morning.

Share the lurve
                          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

hehe

go out there in the wee hours and dig it up big time.. then someone will crash and probably sue the council. Their lawyers will then smack them around and force them to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos
                              Too bad they're round

- Steve
                              In this case it's square.

In fact the state is much worse when they first started repairing it. The level of repair work belongs to a pavement.

Of course the problem is also city wide but this isn't surprising considering they can't do basic repairs in the first place.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X