Mobile 2500+ vs 2500+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile 2500+ vs 2500+

I found a buyer for my MSI KT4V and T-Bred B 2100+, (it`s my best friend actually), so i`m gonna upgrade my system in the next 2 weeks or so.

The MB i decided to go with is the Soltek 75FRN2L, it`s cheap, apparently works exceptionally well with Bartons, and stable. I would go with Asus X series, but unfortunately cant find them here.

Now, the question is: Should i get a mobile Barton 2500+ (~120$) or a normal Barton 2500+ (~100$)? The mobile works at lower voltages (1.45V as opposed to 1.60 (or 1.65?)) and is able to o/c VERY nicely. AFAIK the mobile runs at 133 MHz stock, and the desktop at 166 MHz.

So i`m wondering if there is ANY reason not to go with the mobile chip? I wont be o/c much (probably would go near 3200+ speeds, maybe a tad bit more) cause i want to keep my temps below 60 C, plus at those speeds it shouldn`t be running any hotter then my 2100+ @ 2.17 GHz, 1.75 V, so i wont have to change the cooler (Glacialtech Igloo 2510Pro), not having to change the 333 MHz RAM i have is an added plus.
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

AFAIK the mobile chips are unlocked, which is why they are the best choice for overclockers
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

K, i`ve searched the net, and it seems overclocks of around 2500 MHz are a normal thing for this chip, and even 2600-2700 MHz are quite common, even with air cooling This is the chip for me.... Mmmmmmm....

Comment

Get mobile for ocing if you can find one.

I didn't saw it here.

With regular 2.2GHz is attainable, mobile does more or does 2.2 without overvolting (less heat, less noise).

Comment

i have a mobile 2600, with IQ stepping as opposed to AQ, with a thermaltake SL900A and a silent zalman 92mm fan attatched it will overclock to 2474Mhz at 1.65V, can get it up to 2.65Ghz but this needs >1.8Volts so its not worth the extra heat, temps are 48degrees idle, 55 degrees load. Excellent chip. I have it running at 15x165 memory cas 2-2-2-5 on my old asus a7v333 been running it for a month without any problem at all.
          is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
          Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

sounds like a plan, overclockers.co.uk have them in stock too, was gonna get myself a a64 but if i can get similar performance on the cheap, i'll go with the old XP.

Comment

that was my sentiment exactly fluff, get them from here though:

they have the IQ stepping, worth about an additional 200MKhz per oveclock on average.

I was going to get an A64, but saw these for £80, found out how to pin mod them to give me the high multipliers to run on my old mobo with 166Mhz DDR and bob was my uncle, 2.5Gig for £80, best value out there i say.
              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Also silent pc builders are favoring the mobiles due to lower voltage and less heat. If its not that much more and budget isn't a concern, then I'd go for it
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I couldn`t wait another couple of days, so i just went and bought the Soltek 75FRN2-L and a mobile Barton 2600+. I kept both my GlacialTech Igloo 2510Pro and the mem, PC2700, but will change it in the near future. Installation went very smoothly. Multipliers? ALL unlocked. First results?

2083 MHz @ 1.45V
                  2324 MHz @ 1.6V
                  2500 MHz @ 1.725V, ~44C idle temp.

This chip is SOOOO f**king SWEET!!! I`m scared to think how far would the chip go with proper (SLK900/SP97) cooling. Brrrrrr.....

Comment

Oh, BTW, chip marking:
                    AXMG2600FQQ4C
                    IQYHA0348XPMW

Comment

Working...
                    X