USA eligible for the EU??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA eligible for the EU??

I start this thread for a laugh; please do not make it political or worthy of transfer to Temp.

At http://erc.unesco.org/cp/MSList.asp?lg=E&&type=1&%AE=1 UNESCO have classified:
    Europe
    Following the definition of regions with a view to the execution by the Organization of regional activities:

Albania
    Andorra
    Armenia
    Austria
    Azerbaijan
    Belarus
    Belgium
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Bulgaria
    Canada
    Croatia
    Cyprus
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Estonia
    Finland
    France
    Georgia
    Germany
    Greece
    Hungary
    Iceland
    Ireland
    Israel
    Italy
    Kazakhstan
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Luxembourg
    Malta
    Monaco
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Poland
    Portugal
    Republic of Moldova
    Romania
    Russian Federation
    San Marino
    Serbia and Montenegro
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tajikistan
    The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
    Turkey
    Ukraine
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    United States of America

Does this make Canada and the USA eligible for membership of the EU, along with a number of Asian states?

Brian (the devil incarnate)

They'd have to have a referendum on it first shirley?
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

sounds intresting... i know that there is some sort of conection with canada... it would be intresting ...
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

The USA can't be part of the EU since the USA is already a group.
        The smallest state in the USA is quite larger than most Europeam countries.
        I doubt that any American state would choose to quit the USA in order to join the EU.

On the other hand, I could easily see Quebec choosing to do so.
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
          The USA can't be part of the EU since the USA is already a group.
          The smallest state in the USA is quite larger than most Europeam countries.
          I doubt that any American state would choose to quit the USA in order to join the EU.

On the other hand, I could easily see Quebec choosing to do so.
          I'm sorry, but you are talking wet!

1. there are groups within the EU, already (e.g., the UK and NI, comprising a group of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and also representing the Isle of Man, the Scilly Isles, the Channel Isles and Gibraltar, each being a separate country)
          2. the USA is an entity in its own right with a unique foreign policy, already in several groups, such as NATO, NAFTA etc.
          3. Rhode Island is the smallest of the US States, with an area of 3,139 km2. Unless I'm much mistaken, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is the smallest current member-state of the EU at 2,586 km2, although Malta, which will become a member in a week or so, is smaller. All the other member-states, including the other 9 joining on 1 May, are much larger than Rhode Island. Even this island is three times larger. Israel is more than 6-1/2 times bigger than RI. Germany is much more than 100 times bigger than RI.

As usual, you haven't checked your statements before letting hot air come out, by also distorting the fact that this thread was not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
            They'd have to have a referendum on it first shirley?
            don't call him Shirley - he really hates that.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I think the real question here is do we realy want Canada to join?

I think France is enough for us!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

better question would some European Countries like to become a State of the United States?
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Now who would want to do THAT?

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

As usual, you haven't checked your statements before letting hot air come out, by also distorting the fact that this thread was not meant to be taken seriously.
                    Relax. You're the one taking this too seriously all of a sudden.

For a ranking of US states by size check out the following link.

These are the 2022, 2021, and 2020 population figures of the individual states of the US; their 2022 population densities; and their total area, land area, and water area in square miles.

And since the figures are in square miles here is the conversion to square kilometers.

1 square mile = 2.5899 square kilometers

Joel
                    Last edited by Joel; 21 April 2004, 06:23.
                    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

The french wouldn't like it so it must be good idea.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

EU will be defined as union of states on European continent with common interests, I don't think USA could fit into this description.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                          EU will be defined as union of states on European continent with common interests, I don't think USA could fit into this description.
                          I don't see how this definition holds water.

The average inhabitant of the UK would be offended to be considered as part of the European continent. Malta, due to join on 1 May likewise. However, Cyprus is in an even more dichotomous position, because it is geographically and tectonically Asian. After Asia, Africa is nearer than Europe, as the African plate meets the Anatolian plate a few km offshore (hence our earthquakes).

As for the common interests, they are very difficult to find.

Comment

The Union shall be open to all European States which respect its values and are committed to
                            promoting them together.

Comment

speaking of malta.. i heard that parts of Roger waters' opera will be played..
                              "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Working...
                              X