Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are number 1!!

Yes, it Denmark.

The number one internet using country in the world.

#1 Denmark
    #2 Great Britain
    #3 Sweden
    #4 Norway
    #6 USA
    #7 Singapore
    #12 Australia
    #14 South Korea
    #25 Japan
    #47 Peru
    #55 Russia

The list is quit long.
    Study performed by IBM and The Economist.

So we won after all, mostly because its still accepted to call a 2mbit adsl line for "broadband" and because even though the prices are rather high, a lot of people have access to ADSL.

~~DukeP~~

bah, but you still don't have real net connections
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Agreed.

It will only be a _slight_ help, that from next month I will have access through a bundled 2x2mbit adsl. At least the free traffic is something.

I really think that "Broandband" should be at least 10mbit, preff. 20mbit.
      20mbit would be enough to stream movies in a fair quality, and enough to store all your data on a "secure" datastorage center - without feeling too much of a lagg when accessing.

The current standard 512kbit - 2048kbit is addequate for surfing and gameplaying, but not real deliverance of content. Still, if All you want out of the internet is news, managing your bankaccount and paying your taxes, then 512kbit is surely enough.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

lucky bastard ...... your complaining about 512Kb you should see my lousy conection..
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Do you have the link ?
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Yeah.. stop whining. I can still remember when 56k dialup was wonderfully fast compared to that POS 9600baud modem at work. Be grateful.

Comment

Bleeh.
              My first modem was 2400baud. Used it to connect to fiddonet.

Oh the waiting time for that sweet .gif of a near naked girly.

Anyhow I was reffering to the idea that adsl=broadband. Our minister of science and technology promised that there would be broadband to all, or at least avialble to 97% of the population.
              That sounded good, until I figured out that she meant ADSL.

Still, I have no problems with the speeds I have - I just need to plan around it. I AM looking forward to doubling the 2mbit line tho.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Oh yeah? Well I remember the stupid 300 baud thing that you would cram a phone receiver into, and that was some killer state of the art stuff, mind you.. no graphics, just a bit of a lag and then your text would print out on your monochrome screen.

Comment

And before that we had carrier pigeons who could transport a few 1s and 0s at a time, which we had to manually translate back into alphanumerics and enter on the keyboard.

Comment

Ohh!
                    You had carrier pigeons??
                    All WE had where carrier Turtles.

Message was colour coded on the square of their shell (incidently, this is where the word "shell" enters into computer use - it literally means the "shell" of the message).

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                      bah, but you still don't have real net connections
                      that's the reason they ARE first
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP

Anyhow I was reffering to the idea that adsl=broadband. Our minister of science and technology promised that there would be broadband to all, or at least avialble to 97% of the population.
                        That sounded good, until I figured out that she meant ADSL.

~~DukeP~~
                        everyone in norway get broadband by 2006. remember, you got a very flat and small country. i am surprised that you dont got it allready.

btw, norway suck. only 4th

Comment

I can remember when we had to relay signals by semaphore with flags. It took two flags to indicate a 0 or 1.

Comment

Originally posted by M|x
                            ...remember, you got a very flat and small country. i am surprised that you dont got it allready.
                            Flat perhaps, but theres a WHOLE lot of islands involved, and some of those are rather large and far from the central "hub" of things (eg. Greenland). Its all calculated into the total score.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Asia has all the good bandwidth. Korea has customer internet services that provide 45 Mb/s service (with several Mb/s upload even). But they run everything on their connection, including cable, phone, internet, etc.

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X