Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer DVD-R/RW problem when in DMA Mode

Hi all,

When I switch my DVD burner to DMA mode in device manager and try to burn anything It gives me an error.
    When I switch it to PIO mode only, everything burns fine and I'm talking both DVD's and CD's.

Anyone run into this problem before?

It's connected on the primary IDE along with the C drive.
    Running Windows XP Pro SP1.

The rest is in my sig.

Thanks in advance MURCERS

Cheers,
    Elie

I have same chipset board (Tyan TigerMPX) and currently I have LiteOn Combo as secondary master with WD1200JB as slave. The JB is running UDMA5 (ATA 100) and LiteOn combo UDMA2 (ATA 66). It works.

Things to try:
    - try another IDE cable (get an 80 conductor one)
    - try the burner as secondary single drive (alone on it's IDE cable) and see if it works in UDMA mode that way
    - try forcing both drives to same UDMA mode (UDMA-2 - ATA33 should work), just to see if it makes a difference

Comment

I second Utwig's cable suggestion. I had the same problem with my Plextor burner - It refused to work in DMA mode and only very slowly in PIO mode. It worked fine after I replaced the cable.

Comment

Maybe a bit off topic, but I have a problem with my Pioneer DVD-ROM on that same MPX chipset...
        It randomly freezes my machine when doing heavy transfers (i.e. ripping DVD at full speed)....
        Tried different ASPIs, busmastering drivers, played with PCI latency and got somewhat better results as it now works almost flawlessly. But, here and there I still get a freeze. Anyone experienced similar behaviour?
        Last edited by Goc; 18 April 2004, 09:20.

Comment

Try Secondary Master.
          I've always found it best to keep the primary HD and burner on differant channels.

Comment

Goc, do you have 2k or XP.

I hade some CD-ROM machine slowdown problems under NT and 2k on BX and with 2k on MPX, that I don't have under XP.

Comment

Thanks for the input people...

Machine is running WinXP SP1. Pioneer is currently configured as secondary master with LG burner as slave on same channel, although they've been switched master/slave... Haven't tried to put Pioneer solo on the channel with LG on primary channel because I wouldn't want that to be an option. I prefer my system hdd solo on his channel...

Comment

Put it solo, just to see if it works. (just unplug LG from cable and PSU and rip a DVD).

If it improoves things, get a PCI ATA or SATA (RAID if needed) card for HDDs.

That's on my roadmap.

EDIT, I see, you already have that. Get a 4-port card and resell 2-port card.

Also try another DVD-ROM (borrow one from a friend).

I have only ripped 1 DVD and had no problems with my Toshiba SD-M12-17. I used lattest ASPI layer from Adaptec.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 19 April 2004, 08:02.

Comment

Tried putting it solo... No change...
                  Could it be a defective unit, or it just refuses to play nicely with MPX? Must try it in my second machine, although I don't have much time for ripping apart both machines...
                  As for another ATA/SATA card, I've ran out of PCI slots, and I can't justify buying a 4 port card... Rather buy a different DVD ROM. I've had a LiteOn and a Hitachi that worked perfectly. Pioneer 105S slot-in that's in my second rig also gives no problems whatsoever... It's not really such a big fuss. I'm just pissed off for not being able to get this thingy to work...

Sorry for thread hijack Elie!

Comment

Re: ran out of PCI slots: Tiger has 6 with integrated 3COM LAN, hence I chose it.

Comment

Yeah... I know, but at the time I was buying, only available board was this crappy ASUS... It is also the 1.0 rev board without onboard USB, but with separate USB2.0 card... I'm waiting for my crappy ISP to hook me up on DSL so I can get rid of that ISDN adapter... Then I'll have a free PCI slot! Woot!

Comment

OT: I read, Croatia won in Ice Hockey C group (II. div A), congrats.

Comment

Heh... haven't heard a thing about it until now. Nevertheless, our hockey team sucks.
                          But thanks for the congrats...

Comment

Working...
                          X