Spyware questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware questions...

alright... i've been away from technology for far too long... in my absence, it appears that spyware/ad software has taken monumental leaps and bounds in becoming annoying and a bitch to remove.

i was working on a friends computer earlier and managed to remove a cubic shit ton of it, but i suspect there is still more. I got it to the point where Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy won't pick up anything, and HijackThis only really returns valid information. buuuttt... it was still popping up. I managed to use at least one dedicated tool to remove some stuff, and I am really not sure what else to do. I was going to have them run NAV on it overnight, and see if maybe it came up with something... but...

does anyone have any other suggestions for software that can track this shit down?
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Spybot <B>1.3</B>, plus Ad-Aware.

Plus, install the Google toolbar if your friend insists on using IE.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

ahh, i'll test that shit out when i get a chance.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I second what Wombat said.
        You do have a lot of shit to deal with, don't you!
        FT.

Comment

I'm also using Ad-Aware and recently, I found this very useful add-on

Ad-aware Cloak 1.0 is designed to allow Ad-aware to open fully when there are items on the system which close Ad-aware when it attempts to start, such as some CoolWebSearch variants. To use Ad-aware Cloak, save it to your system, and run the program before opening Ad-aware. Once Ad-aware Cloak opens, click "Activate Cloak" and then open Ad-aware and scan as normal. When you are done using Ad-aware, close Ad-aware Cloak.
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I'm glad my friend decided to just do a reformat and reinstall instead of trying to clean things up.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I'm glad my friend decided to just do a reformat and reinstall instead of trying to clean things up.
              But the spys and dirt are around the corner. They come back again, you'll clean the PC again....
              Never ending story...

"It's a tough world and someone has to take the shit!"

Fred H
              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Tell him to get a girlfriend and stop looking at pron sites.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Fred H
                  But the spys and dirt are around the corner. They come back again, you'll clean the PC again....
                  Never ending story...

"It's a tough world and someone has to take the shit!"

Fred H
                  I think he learned his lessons, but in any case he did it himself, just used me as a reference.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
                    I think he learned his lessons, but in any case he did it himself, just used me as a reference.
                    Any excuse we've heard it all before.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Some people never learn any lessons.
                      A friend of mine asked me for a couple of day: “What is spyware, how can I see them …?”
                      When I told him for 100th times to try AdAware to remove spies, he asked me “…what is AdAware and what is Spy Boot…?”
                      Did he learn his lesson?

Fred H
                      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X