Odd Slot1 card in old Dell...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Slot1 card in old Dell...?

Maybe ignorant, but I have no exp. with multi-proc moboards...

My stepmom has asked me if I can resurect an old rig she rescued from the dumpster where she works. Old Dell CAD rig. It's an early P3 dual Slot1 mobo, with an Intel chipset. It has no processors (or PS). By the jumpers, it set to a p3 500.

In one of the slot1 slots is a card with nothing more than than some printed circuitry and a few caps. What is this thing? Just something needed on muti-proc boards to fill the slot? Some Dell proprietary BS (which I fear may be the case with the missing PS, judging by the odd looking case layout)?
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Well, Dell definitely uses their own power connector.

I couldn't find anything about this dummy SEC, but I think it's just an impedence load to keep the clocks and busses happy.

The slots on that motherboard should be marked "primary" and "secondary". If that dummy card is in the secondary slot, you're probably good to go.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Funny how people just throw stuff out like that.. maybe it's a dead board though. you can get Dell power supplies from PC Power and Cooling if you want to fire it up.

Comment

QDI, used to make dual board with a single "special " slot?

Comment

Re: Odd Slot1 card in old Dell...?

Originally posted by Kruzin
          In one of the slot1 slots is a card with nothing more than than some printed circuitry and a few caps. What is this thing? Just something needed on muti-proc boards to fill the slot? Some Dell proprietary BS (which I fear may be the case with the missing PS, judging by the odd looking case layout)?
          That "thing" is called a termination board, When you use only one processor slot from the motherboard, you must install a termination board into the empty slot.

About the PSU, probably it's a proprietary Dell PSU , but I think they wouldn't be hard to find in the States.

P.S. Be sure to check if the board also needs a VRM (voltage regulator module) most slot-1 dual processor boards need a VRM for every processor, but some boards don't require them.
          Last edited by KeiFront; 16 April 2004, 02:42.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Yeah, termination board for the unusued cpu slot. Any unfortunately most of those "dell specials' did use proprietary power supply units.

Comment

BTW, a lot of the old Dell Mobo's are Intel in make.

Often just re-biosed intel reference boards.

If you haven't seen an intel board before, they often have no silk-screened information about model/rev. rather , they have a series of narrow stickers around the periphery of the board with model and serial code numbers. it is possible to google these and find out what intel model name they correspond to.

CEM
              System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Thanks for the info, folks.
                I doubt this machine will run again, as she thought she had all the parts for it. I doubt she'll wanna shell out for a PS and proc.
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Too bad. Would make a great "free" box for some dedicated purpose, (linux server, file storage dump box, etc.)

Might even prove servicable for a Word machine.

Those Mid age Dell boxes were well engineered, and fairly compatibile with commodity parts.

CEM

P.S. You could always throw the carcass onto Ebay, and see if anyone needs it for spares...

CEM
                  System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Working...
                  X