Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably a dumb question but

Can LCD's suffer from burn in.

My Samsung 181T just displays my weather station data for most of the day. When I close the software down you can still it ghosted on the display.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I know there was a burn in issue on some apple and I think on some dell laptops too, but I haven't ever heard from it occuring on a desktop panel. If it's still under warranty, have it replaced, just in case

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I did a quick google and there are quite a few people out there complaining of burnt images on LCD monitors.

I don't understand how this could be possible as there is no tube/phosphor/electron gun in a LCD monitor...

With the number of complaints out there, there must be something causing this... seeing as this monitor is new, i find it hard to believe that the cells are prematurly wearing out...

One guy found that weaving a magnet at the LCD caused the ghosting to disappear... not sure if this is a good idea though....
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

On all of the LCD's that I've seen, used and played with "burn-in" simply isn't possible for the reasons detailed above.
        "after image" is possible and that is cured by either leaving the LCD switched off or running moving images for the same amount of time as the static image was there.

However.......

You are now the fourth Samsung LCD owner who I've seen mention this.
        One person on another forum called Samsung and was told by their technical support people that burn-in is possible and no they will not replace the display under warranty.

I've got no idea what Samsung are doing to their panels, but I've not heard of any other manufacturer owner experiencing burn-in, just the odd after image.
        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Where's rylan? Isn't he the expert in this?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I know that LCD projectors degrade after a time. the LCD is organic in coposition an loses contrast and colour after a while due to the heat generated in a projector.
            An LCD panel would suffer the same fate, but a slower rate.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Yes, some LCDs suffer from an artifact known as 'image sticking', which is similar to burnin as we know it on traditional CRT displays. Its really dependant on the technology of the lcd module and the driving electronics.
              Anyway, whithout getting too technical, when you leave an image on the screen for a while, the lcd crystals begin to get a semi-permanent charge, instead of just reacting to the electric field from the transistors. However as I mentioned, this is -not- permanent, but it can tale a while for the charge to dissipate, and its more noticable on mid-level background, because the lcd crystal is being driven half-way then, so a small additional charge will allow enough extra light through to be noticable. Generally if you put up a full white background or full black background for a couple hours, it will get rid of any sticking artifacts. White or black works better depending again if the normal state of the lcd crystals is opened or closed.

Comment

yet another reason for me to postpone going lcd
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I have no desire to switch to any other monitor, either.. love the one I've got. (90lb 24in widescreen Sony CRT)

One day there will be a Mitsubishi 30" widescreen LCD with the right resolution that finally looks decent, but then again, it would be expensive and still not look as good.

Comment

:drool:... The FW900...

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker
                      yet another reason for me to postpone going lcd

Well how often would have a display displaying the samething for several hours???

The poor geometry and blurring of CRT's is one reason to go LCD. It saves on eye strain.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

There are still advantages and disavantages to both CRT and LCD. As pit mentioned, pixel geometry on crts suck, along with blurring as you get closer to the edges, and flicker from refresh. LCDs still can't quite reproduce the color saturation that crts can however, and they also have slower response... but are -much- easier on your eyes.

Comment

Used to work with CRT's only at work and coming home with a headache was common place. Now we've got one lcd too work with as the main display and the headaches are no longer the problem.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Headache? With a Matrox card and a high quality CRT? Surely you jest. Never had a headache from this rig.

Comment

I must say that for work (ie using office-type apps) an lcd is far far preferable for the eyes to a crt.
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X