WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiFi

I don't want to run a cable from the phone socket to the computers, I assume the best way to do that would be to get a WiFi router at the phone socket and a WiFi access point (are there APs with built-in 100mbps switches?) in the computer room?

What would be the best cheap solution here? For my routing needs, look here.

Anything I should look out for?

Thank you all
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Oh yeah, we use a DECT cordless phone which also uses 2.4 GHz I think.

AZ

Comment

Yeah, thats one thing with wireless that is annoying, lots of the new cordless phones tend to nuke the wireless connection while you're on the phone. lol

Anyway, unfortunately I don't know of any APs with a built in switch, unless you get another wireless router and run it in gateway mode. Seems the APs are just that.. wireless APs and nothing else.

Comment

Don't go with Linksys for your access point. It's one thing they don't seem to do well. Consider Netgear or some of the other guys.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

So, could I connect a wireless AP and the machines to a hub/switch?

I'm a little confused about WiFi

AZ

Comment

Yes.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If you want to connect the router and access point wirelessly they'll need to support WDS or similar. Buffalo's stuff supports WDS as do some of the D-Link products.

This is the AP I use, it does the job and is very compact

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

consider getting IEEE802.11A standard that operates at 5GHz. Shorter range (still ok for indoor), same speed as 802.11G (54Mbps), but does not get influenced by other 2.4GHz devices/microwaves...

if you don't mind interference, get D-Link's 802.11G Xtreme series with ~100Mbps transfer.

Comment

Interference is annoying. Those turbo routers bother me because you're being greedy, and bothering other WiFi in the area.

Comment

oh ya, I do use a Wireless AP at home, but I think I should have gotton a wireless router with wired RJ45 ports instead... less clutter... my desk has 2 power cords and CAT5 between AP and router and CAT5 between my main machine... hate wires...

If you need more ports, u can just get a standard router and link it with the wireless router...

My vote goes to tri-band wireless routers w/802.11B/G/A support...

Comment

Nope, don't go tri-band yet. They use dual-band chips that aren't very good for B/G. At least, all the ones I've seen.

Comment

The best way to connect phone socket with computer is placing plastic tubes in walls, mounting wall sockets in room, covering it with plaster and painting over.

If you're renovating, you might go that far.

Comment

In English, those tubes are called conduit.

Comment

Working...
                          X