Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN help needed... kinda urgent

Ok so here's the deal...

I'm at a LAN party, and so far I have no network problems while in Windows... I can access the other machines just fine.

But as soon as I start a game I have trouble. I can't see anybody and they can't see my machine. Seems I'm the only one not able to play any multiplayer games.

Any ideas?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

If you run any firewall software, try turning it off. That may be your problem.
    I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

I don't. All I have is my Antivirus.

Could someone else's firewall cause problems for me?
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

hmmm more details might help OS, what game, network settings, etc
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Running Windows 2000 professional.

So far we tried Far Cry and "Need for speed - hot pursuit 2" with the same result. That's when we figured the problem was probably on my end.

Network settings... hmmm let's see....

Have "Client for microsoft networks" installed. Using TCP/IP (DHCP enabled).

Comment

how/what handles DHCP on the network? is it your PC hosting DHCP server?

Comment

No it's a "Speedstream 5100" ADSL router.

.... which by the way we/I have been unable to communicate with for a while. Couldn't get online at least.

Comment

ok sounds like NIC driver issue to me

either dump/reboot/reinstall or try different NIC

hope this helps ya

Comment

at the risk of sounding like a complete boob..... NIC????

ahhh.... Network Interface Card right!?

Comment

yup

(there are no stupid questions btw)

you have another card to try i hope

Comment

Well I have a Realtek card which was the one I was originally using. Then I tried switching to my Onboard Intel something and that didn't help.

I'm downloading new drivers for the onboard now.

Comment

My first thought was that you might be using one protocol for Windows networking (like net beui) and a different one (tcp/ip almost certainly) for the games. If one protocol was working and the other was not, well there you go. But you said you only had tcp/ip installed (for protocols). And I am not sure if 2000 still used netbeui (XP does not).

Other observation is that if you do not have a functioning DHCP server available (which it sound like you do not) and you are set to use it, tcp/ip would not work. Which does not explain why you can see other computers on the network. Hmmm do you have WINS enabled? Again, not used much anymore so seems unlikely. Ok I am out of ideas now.

Comment

Start->Run->CMD

type ipconfig at the prompt.

What's your IP?

Comment

Originally posted by stcynic
                            My first thought was that you might be using one protocol for Windows networking (like net beui) and a different one (tcp/ip almost certainly) for the games. If one protocol was working and the other was not, well there you go. But you said you only had tcp/ip installed (for protocols).
                            My bad.... I have IPX/SPX/NetBIOS installed also and I guess that is what I'm using to access other machines over the LAN. Is my TCP screwy ?

Utwig.... I have IP 192.168.1.100.

Comment

Do you have dhcp enabled, can other machines ping your IP?

Comment

Working...
                              X