PDA

View Full Version : WiFi and Wireless phones

GT98
7th April 2004, 11:44
I was thinking about getting VoIP service and I remember reading somewhere that 2.4Ghz Wireless phones gave interferance to Wifi AP's and whatnot. Is that True? I was looking at 5.8Ghz phones and they aren't cheap.

Wombat
7th April 2004, 11:49
Then get a 900MHz phone, they work quite nicely, and they're cheaper.

agallag
7th April 2004, 12:34
It depends on the phone. I've heard some Sony 2.4GHz phones cause a lot of interference.

I have a Vtech 2.4GHz phone and 802.11b wireless working at the same time with no issues at all. Once I had the phone sitting on the couch beside my laptop, one floor away from the AP, and the phone's antenna was actually resting on the NIC antenna. I was talking on the phone (speakerphone in the handset), and downloading simultaneously at full speed. Sure seems to work ok.

Paddy
7th April 2004, 12:37
got a link to the phone?

mmp121
7th April 2004, 14:14
Originally posted by agallag
It depends on the phone. I've heard some Sony 2.4GHz phones cause a lot of interference.

I have a Vtech 2.4GHz phone and 802.11b wireless working at the same time with no issues at all.

Same thing here, I got a D-Link DI-764 wireless router/AP (does 802.11a and 802.11b) and a LinkSys A/B/G wireless card and primarily use the B network. I have no issues with my V-Tech 2.4Ghz phone either. I think my phone is a VT-2420 (the handset is at least). The base unit is a VT-2641 I think.

az
7th April 2004, 16:30
I thought V-Tech only makes these childrens' computers... ;)

AZ

SteveC
8th April 2004, 05:01
I run a 2.4Ghz wireless Philips DECT phone and an 802.11b wireless network at the same time no problem. Even with a wireless keyboard/mouse, doorbell, mobile phone and using the microwave oven (also 2.4Ghz) all at the same time and no problems.

Only problems I've seen is the mobile phone interferes with the keyboard/mouse a bit.

Jammrock
8th April 2004, 06:24
I haven't had good luck with 2.4 GHz phones. One worked at my apartment, but didn't work at my town house or house. The second 2.4 GHz phone I got, and unfortunately still use, just blows chewy chunks (never get a GE phone).

I would recommend a Panasonic 900 MHz or 5.8 GHz phone. No other major household devices use those bands ... yet. Unless you have 802.11a in the area.

Jammrock

Tjalfe
8th April 2004, 07:25
I have a Panasonic 2.4GHz phone and a Linksys G router.. seems to work.
on a note, the 2.4GHz in my phone is from base to handset, from handset to base it is 900MHz
( I know this from having a pair of sony wireless headphones, which picked up the phone conversation beautigully, but only the part from the handset. The headphones were at 900MHz :) )

spadnos
8th April 2004, 08:12
Just don't turn on the microwave (you know - the one next to the access point :D )

Actually, I have a 2.4GHz phone, and it does get interference (clicks and pops) when the microwave is running.

Don't know about Wi-Fi, but I'd imagine there would be some interference there as well.

- Steve

Jammrock
8th April 2004, 08:27
PS - And to avoid people eves dropping on your calls, make sure your phone uses Digital Spread Spectrum technology ;)

agallag
8th April 2004, 08:38
http://www.vtechcanada.com/telecommunications/ciddk.html

I have the VT2431, which uses up to 4 VT2420 handsets. I think it may be a discontinued model, but some stores still have them in stock.