WiFi and Wireless phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiFi and Wireless phones

I was thinking about getting VoIP service and I remember reading somewhere that 2.4Ghz Wireless phones gave interferance to Wifi AP's and whatnot. Is that True? I was looking at 5.8Ghz phones and they aren't cheap.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Then get a 900MHz phone, they work quite nicely, and they're cheaper.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It depends on the phone. I've heard some Sony 2.4GHz phones cause a lot of interference.

I have a Vtech 2.4GHz phone and 802.11b wireless working at the same time with no issues at all. Once I had the phone sitting on the couch beside my laptop, one floor away from the AP, and the phone's antenna was actually resting on the NIC antenna. I was talking on the phone (speakerphone in the handset), and downloading simultaneously at full speed. Sure seems to work ok.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

got a link to the phone?
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
          It depends on the phone. I've heard some Sony 2.4GHz phones cause a lot of interference.

I have a Vtech 2.4GHz phone and 802.11b wireless working at the same time with no issues at all.
          Same thing here, I got a D-Link DI-764 wireless router/AP (does 802.11a and 802.11b) and a LinkSys A/B/G wireless card and primarily use the B network. I have no issues with my V-Tech 2.4Ghz phone either. I think my phone is a VT-2420 (the handset is at least). The base unit is a VT-2641 I think.
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

I thought V-Tech only makes these childrens' computers...

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I run a 2.4Ghz wireless Philips DECT phone and an 802.11b wireless network at the same time no problem. Even with a wireless keyboard/mouse, doorbell, mobile phone and using the microwave oven (also 2.4Ghz) all at the same time and no problems.

Only problems I've seen is the mobile phone interferes with the keyboard/mouse a bit.

Comment

I haven't had good luck with 2.4 GHz phones. One worked at my apartment, but didn't work at my town house or house. The second 2.4 GHz phone I got, and unfortunately still use, just blows chewy chunks (never get a GE phone).

I would recommend a Panasonic 900 MHz or 5.8 GHz phone. No other major household devices use those bands ... yet. Unless you have 802.11a in the area.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have a Panasonic 2.4GHz phone and a Linksys G router.. seems to work.
                  on a note, the 2.4GHz in my phone is from base to handset, from handset to base it is 900MHz
                  ( I know this from having a pair of sony wireless headphones, which picked up the phone conversation beautigully, but only the part from the handset. The headphones were at 900MHz )
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Just don't turn on the microwave (you know - the one next to the access point )

Actually, I have a 2.4GHz phone, and it does get interference (clicks and pops) when the microwave is running.

Don't know about Wi-Fi, but I'd imagine there would be some interference there as well.

- Steve

Comment

PS - And to avoid people eves dropping on your calls, make sure your phone uses Digital Spread Spectrum technology
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have the VT2431, which uses up to 4 VT2420 handsets. I think it may be a discontinued model, but some stores still have them in stock.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                        X