Ok killed my first motherboard today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok killed my first motherboard today

I have a Aopen Dual P3 Server at work we use as a Linux server for a simulation we use here. It didn't want to fire up last week (wanted to start but never even made it into the BIOS). I ordered a new PS for it and got it in today. I installed it and pressed the power button..and nothing happens and I noticed that the monitor wasn't on...as I'm doing that I hear a pop pop...I look on the board and I have 4 Caps that are screwed up and a IC that cracked in half...I'll take some pictures tommorow of it and post them.

First Motherboard thats died under my care

I guess Aopen got some crappy Caps like Abit does
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

DOH! not fun at all, but wipe the arc traces b4 you post the pics
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Have to start using Abit and Aopen for bonfire night. Pop Pop Pop Buzz.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Heres the picture
        Attached Files

Comment

It looks like you got hit by a voltage spike. Maybe the old PS's way of saying goodbye. That appears to be a power FET that blew there, and the caps went with.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Had exactly this happen to me a few days ago - the caps only bulged (and started doing so even months ago - I was waiting for the board to die) and didn't pop or leak, and nothing broke, though the PSU stank and smoked a little. I hoped my Kyro II had been fried as well, to justify getting a new card, but alas, it was the mb (now got an unstable asrock ) and quiet PSU.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              It looks like you got hit by a voltage spike. Maybe the old PS's way of saying goodbye. That appears to be a power FET that blew there, and the caps went with.
              Well didnt happen till I put the new PS in far as I know

Comment

Comment

Unstable ASRock? What model?
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

A7S8X (without E) - wouldn't run my Infineon DDR266CL2 at CL2 (BSOD on every second win bootup). At CL2.5 it's better, but I still have the feeling the K7S5A was more stable (though that may well be windows and other software misbehaving).

AZ

Comment

ok, the ASRock SiS 74X mobos can be picky about memory. Check www.ocworkbench.com forums for advice to make it stable at CL2 if it is at all possible. May need a BIOS change. Never tried to run any mem at CL2 on my mobo. Performance is good enough at 2.5. However if I had cl2 mem. I'd want to run it at cl2.
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2

Comment

BTW I had the non E board for a few months before selling it and getting my current mobo in Sept. '03
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R

Comment

I think I'll spare myself the hassle and just run at 2.5, the performance difference is small and my system won't be a screamer either way. Thanks for the heads up though

AZ

Comment

Working...
                          X