RAID Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID Question

Ok I currently have a Promise RAID PCI controller with 2x WD 60GB hard drives in RAID 0. I want to put in my new WD 120GB HD on the MB IDE Controller to replace the RAID Setup as my Boot Drive.

The thing is that I dont want to loose the data on the RAID array, so would I be OK installing the Drive, removing the RAID card from the MB, installing XP then reinstalling the RAID card...getting my data off the Array then formatting the Array when I'm done?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Sounds reasonable.

I do believe that removing the card altogether is the best idea (or atleast disconnecting the drive cable) during install to the new disk.

Occasionally I've had windows choose the wrong disk to install to (actually, it installed to the correct disk, but chose an odd way to assign drive letters), and my boot drive ended up as a d:. not fatal, but annoying.
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Not disconnecting the drive cable. I had a Promise RAID setup. It's easier on you if the Windows installer can't see the card, rather than the card, but not the drives.

Actually, from my experience, I think you'll be okay if you just slap the new drive onto the MB, and boot with everything there. If you don't give WinXP the RAID driver disk during the install, then it should only be able to see the MB IDE anyway. Then you can install Promise drivers once the system is up and running on the new drive.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
      X