Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full D70 review (dpreview)

Well, the detailed D70 review is up:

The D70, announced on 28th January 2004 is Nikon's answer to the new sub-$1,000 digital SLR market, its clear competition being the Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) announced last August. The D70 is revealed by Nikon exactly two years since the D100, the D70 appears to share quite a lot with its sibling including a six megapixel CCD sensor and Multi-CAM900 auto focus system. The D70 also appears to have quite a bit going for it which are the primary complaints for EOS 300D owners, flash exposure compensation being one of them.

and it gets a

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I am sick, since I’ve seen this camera. I am a Nikon fantast.
    But, what should I do with my Coolpix995? I never can get even ½ of its new price now.
    I just will buy a D70. I am dreaming
    I also own a Nikon F401s camera with a Nikor AF 35-70 zoom lens and I hope it could be compatible with the D70.
    Any opinions?

Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yes. sell all that Nikon junk and wait for the Dynax 7 Digital in autumn.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Excuze me....?
        I am a Nikon fantast disregarding my old Leica.
        Difficult to convince me about the oposite

Fred H

Comment

Originally posted by az
          Yes. sell all that Nikon junk and wait for the Dynax 7 Digital in autumn.

AZ
          what was that about "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."?

the d70 is a great camera, imho. I only wish I had more time to use it atm...

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Of course it is a great camera

I'm just envious of you being able to hold your camera in your hands

But even when the D7D finally comes out, I won't be able to afford it (as it likely competes more with the 10D and D100, and is from a smaller manufacturer, so it'll likely cost a little more, like the Pentax *ist D), and even if I could afford it, my photography skillz aren't 1337 enough to justify a purchase - and I'd grow tired of having to schlepp it around

AZ

Comment

I already own a Nikon Coolpix 995 camera which is also a very nice one. As I said before I also own an F401s (1988) Nikon and the D70 should open the possibilites to reuse its, otherwise nice Nikkor lens.

The only problem is that I can't afford to buy another expensive digital camera. But I can't stop dreaming to buy one in the future.

Fred H

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman
                what was that about "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."?
                Hey, we have a very similar expression in Dutch (translated): "Better one bird in the hand, than 10 in the sky".

Fred H:
                If you have Leica lenses, then the Epson rangefinder might be of interest:
                Shown only in prototype form and behind glass at PMA this year Epson has today fully revealed their R-D1 'Rangefinder Digital Camera'. This camera has come out of a collaboration between Epson and Cosina, it supports Leica M mount and L mount with an adapter and has a six megapixel APS size sensor with an output image size of 3008 x 2000 pixels (which sounds to me like the sensor used by Nikon in the D100 & D70). Epson's timing for this announcement is the 2004 Photo Expo to be held in Tokyo between 19th and 21st March. This announcement has received a lot of attention from the Japanese websites who have lots of images of the camera, see inside for links. UPDATE: Specifications added.

It supports Leica M and Leica L mount (with adapter).
                Leica also have announced a digital back for their R9 and R8 models, it is said to be launched later this year.

That being said, the Nikon D70 does look like a great camera (I have handled the D70 once; I have a D100). Mind you, not all Nikon lenses can be reused, better check the manual first! I believe the IX lenses never work on Nikon DSLRs.
                (other lenses work with limited functionality, e.g. no metering)

Az:
                Do you have ties with Minolta ? (shares or something like that? )

Jörg
                Last edited by VJ; 21 April 2004, 01:58.
                pixar

Comment

Off Topic:
                  Hey cloggies, whilst we're talking about phrases in english and dutch, is it true that your equivalent of "The early bird catches the worm" is "The early worm gets caught"?
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

VJ:
                    Thanks.
                    Talking about compatibility, my Leica is, unfortunately (fortunately) a 194? model, from my father. I am 68 now, you can imagin...
                    But my Laica still works fine, like me. Still going strong

Fred H

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                      Off Topic:
                      Hey cloggies, whilst we're talking about phrases in english and dutch, is it true that your equivalent of "The early bird catches the worm" is "The early worm gets caught"?

The Dutch equivalent would be 'de morgenstond heeft goud in de mond', which can hardly be translated... 'Morgenstond' is an older-Dutch word, referring to 'getting up early', but it is not used in normal conversation. 'goud in de mond' translates to 'gold in the mouth' , so this in itself has little meaning...

Fred H. :
                      Ok, backward compatibility with Leica is unlikely to happen... With the Nikon, it will depend; the manuals for the Nikon cameras are on their website

And there is always a section on what lenses can be used...

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Off Topic:
                        So if you get up early in the morning in holland all your teeth go rotten and you need lots of fillings?
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                          Off Topic:
                          So if you get up early in the morning in holland all your teeth go rotten and you need lots of fillings?

(I wouldn't know: I live in Belgium )

Actually, it would more seem that when you get up early, you have gold in the mouth... It is a strange expression, I know...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

I used dict.leo.org to get the english phrase. the german version would be something along the lines of "you rather want the sparrow sitting in your hand than the dove on the roof."

mfg
                            wulfman
                            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                            "Lobsters?"
                            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

We have the same saying here: "Morgenstund' hat Gold im Mund", but we also have "Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm".

VJ: I like Minolta because they make the best bridge cameras, period; they innovated lots of times (First AF SLR) and continue to do so (AS); they produce high quality, practical cameras; they're a bit of an underdog; their DSLR and AS will most likely be compatible with ALL their AF lenses, and maybe even some MF ones; their german customer service is great...

Do you know that they worked closely with Leica in ages past, making some bodies and lenses for them?

AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X