Changing Boot Drive name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Boot Drive name

Anyway I can go about changing the drive letter name of my boot drive? I installed a new WD 120GB drive to replace a failing WD 30GB Drive and I installed WinXP onto the 120GB drive so I could recover the data off the smaller drive. Well the 120 GB drive is now known as F: and not as C: since I took the old drive out and if I try to change the name of it windows comes back and tells me that it can't modify drive names of system volumes or Boot drives. I wouldnt normally care but this is on a friends system and It might drive him up a wall
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

There is some info here (same for XP as 2000):
    Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

After that you would then have to search the registry for any other occurences that need to be changed for specific programs.

I've no idea how successful it is likely to be - I feel your pain though as I have ended up in similar situations quite often.

I seem to remember that DriveImage can do it as well, and possibly more reliably.

Comment

Yeah, I did it, a month or two ago. I posted the results here in GH. It involves some registry editing; there was an article from anandtech that laid out the basics.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
      X